This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The early 2000s was an instrumental time in the pop culture world. From the fashion such as Juicy Couture tracksuits and low-waisted jeans, to the iconic TV shows that have continued to shape generations for the past 20+ years, this was undoubtedly a transformative time in the media. Today, I am here to give you a collective ranking of some of my favorite 2000s TV shows. Whether you have watched them or not, I hope you enjoy reading about the adventures of the highs and lows that I have traveled on with these characters through these three series. 

Gilmore Girls

This is by far my all-time favorite TV show that has come from the early 2000s. Featuring mother, Lorelai and daughter, Rory, this heartfelt show is set in the lovely Stars Hollow and follows their two lives navigating the ups and downs of young adulthood and parenthood. This is an amazing show to watch with your Mom (I can speak from experience) especially if you love all things coffee, quaint small-town vibes, and the character and history that the East Coast so seamlessly displays. 

The O.C.

Set in Orange County, hence, the O.C., this show combines the most breathtaking views of sunsets, beaches and marvelous architecture. All the while, the audience is taken on a journey of young teen love with the main group including Seth Cohen, Ryan Atwood, Summer Roberts and Marissa Cooper. Not to mention the ever-extraordinary star couple and parents to Seth, Sandy and Kiersten Cohen. If you are interested in summer 24/7 vibes, soap opera-like drama and watching the bonds of friendship and love bloom, this is the show for you!

Gossip Girl

Starring Serena Van Der Woodsen, Blair Waldorf, Nate Archibald and Chuck Bass as a part of the core four group, what more could you possibly ask for? Set on the beautiful Upper East Side of New York, the glitz and glamour that Gossip Girl provides is absolutely unmatched. From the fancy galas and their insanely preppy high school, it feels as if you are walking the streets of NYC yourself. Watching the characters take their sleek, black personal limos and dine at the most luxurious restaurants will always be the perfect distraction to take your mind off things and relax. Pro tip: Start watching the series now and be just in time for the beloved season three Thanksgiving episode, just in time for the holiday season.

I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit more about my three favorite early 2000s TV shows and all that they entail. Maybe you have seen all, none or some of them, but whatever the case, I am so glad that I got to share my enthusiasm with you. Happy watching!

Lauren Reidy

Illinois '25

Hi! My name is Lauren and I am a Junior majoring in Communication with minors in both Business and Public Relations at The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I am from Chicago, IL and joined Her Campus my first semester of college to find a group of passionate and empowering women to surround myself with. I love reading books, writing, listening to Taylor Swift, drinking coffee, and taking group fitness classes. I'm so excited that you are on this journey with me, thanks for following along!