This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Who feels like having a movie night? I know I do!

Let me tell you my top favorite movies to watch when I need a nice night, whether alone or with my friends.

The list includes:

• Harry Potter – any of the movies; it usually depends on my mood! If I’m feeling more light-hearted, I will do the early ones, but I honestly love the later darker ones! I know I can always depend on these movies to lift my spirits! Moreover, these movies represent my relationship with my sisters where we would have movie nights together, in dark and light times!
  • Disney Movies – I absolutely love Disney movies. Tangled, Brave, The Princess & The Frog, Elemental, Frozen, Zootopia, Big Hero 6, The Incredibles, The Incredibles 2, Inside Out, Rio, Peter Pan, Mulan… the list goes ON AND ON! Disney movies always make me feel at home and also remind me of my relationship with my sisters! Moreover, we love how Disney movies always have a lesson and deeper meaning! We find that Disney movies are a form of art.
  • Hunger Games – I am a huge fan of Catching Fire, but they’re all great! May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor!
  • Divergent Series – I love the utopian world and the action in these movies!
  • The Twilight Saga – the first one makes me laugh, but the rest are so dramatically amazing… I know Twilight has a bad reputation, but I LOVE the movies.
  • Pitch Perfect & Pitch Perfect 2 – always makes me laugh! I adore these movies, they showed me how fun college can be, even if scary! I also love to sing, so this appealed to that part of me.
  • Despicable Me & Despicable Me 2 – so cute and wholesome!
  • Matilda – I grew up watching this one!
  • Ocean’s Eleven, Ocean’s Twelve, Ocean’s Thirteen, Ocean’s Eight – the surprise endings always get me.
  • Now You See Me & Now You See Me 2 – I love the mystery, the action and the thrill behind these movies!
  • Hotel Transylvania – Blah-blah-blah!
  • Megamind – incredibly handsome, a criminal genius and a master of ALL villainy!
  • Shrek – STAY OUT OF MY SWAMP! Also, Lord Farquaad is a mood and Donkey is SO funny!
  • Elf – perfect for the holiday season!!
  • Charlie & The Chocolate Factory – I grew up watching this one too!
  • The Polar Express – B E L I E V E! This movie reminds me of elementary school with little winter crafts, hot chocolate and tons of treats! This movie reminds me of the fun and innocence of the holiday season and the excitement of winter break!
  • White Chicks – Triple T, KA… time to TOTALLY kick ASS! This one is not the most P.C. (politically correct) or appropriate movie, but it is really funny!
  • 90s and early 2000s classics – 10 Things I Hate About You, Clueless, The Princess Diaries, The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement, Legally Blonde, The Perfect Score, Freaky Friday, High School Musical (especially the second one!).

A few of these are seasonal, but they are ones I can enjoy at any point! Plus if I need a comfort movie during these times, I know I can rely on Elf to make me laugh during the holiday season and Hotel Transylvania during the spooky season!

I hope you check out some of these movies and also find comfort or interest in them!

Sarah Kahn

Illinois '25

My name is Sarah Kahn and I am a Junior at the University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign! I am studying Information Sciences, along with pre-med. I love to play tennis, sing, listen to music, and spend time with my friends! I also love to paint and be creative in a multitude of outlets :) I really love all things related to self-care, wellbeing, and makeup! I have always been interested in these things and prioritized them into my daily routine.