MUSIC: Performer Andrew W.K. Confirms His Living Legend Status

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Perpetual partier and the newest face of Playtex’s Fresh + Sexy Wipes, Andrew W.K. set a record last month for playing the drums for 24 hours straight. Playing at the O Music Awards in Oakley’s Time Square Store, he accomplished what you could call the longest drum session in a retail store. Watch the last 5 minutes of the performance  here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbKaTM9O0T4

Meanwhile at the O Music Awards, there were 50+ bands and artists taking part in the 24-hour Live Music Day festival. In case any of you were wondering what the Jonas Brothers were up to besides fake PR relationships and E! “reality” shows, they were the most relevant name on the festival’s lineup. Not to be outdone, however, by Hanson’s triumphant return to the stage, just in time for the release of their sixth studio album. Needless to say, it seems as though in addition to inventing and setting his own world record, Andrew W.K. really saved the whole festival here!

In other news of musicians playing too long for no reason, The National embarked on their most depressing show of all time by performing their song “Sorrow” for 6 hours straight, or 105 times in a row, at MoMA PS1’s annual music fest in Queens, New York. From the clips I saw, there seemed to be absolutely no variation in the song throughout, which must have made sitting through 6 hours totally worth it. The last time I can remember doing anything for anywhere close to 6 or 24 hours straight was when the Sims 2: Pets Expansion Pack came out, so I’m being sincere when I say that some serious congratulations are in order here!

MoMA PS1 isn’t the only festival attracting attention. The state of Illinois has plenty going on, too. It’d only be right to cover some of the most promising ones taking place near Chicago this summer: Riot Fest, North Coast Music Festival, Pitchfork and Phish.

Riot Fest is kicking off its second year at Humboldt Park in Chicago, September 13-15 with bands like Fall Out Boy, Blink 182, Public Enemy, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Best Coast and tons of others.

North Coast Music Festival is happening again in Union Park downtown Chicago, August 30– September 1. Passion Pit, Rebelution, Wu Tang Clan, Nas and Big Gigantic are some of the headliners.

Also at Union Park, July 19-21 is Pitchfork Music Festival, known for having an array of acts from varying musical backgrounds.  This year’s Friday includes Bjork, Belle and Sebastian, R. Kelly, MIA, and Lil’ B.

Jam-band Phis,h known for putting on one-of-a-kind-experience shows, is gracing our presence at FirstBank Pavilion at Northerly Island in Chicago, July 19-21. Tickets are still available but going quick!

The world-famous Lollapalooza is set to take place in Chicago, IL.  The festival was originated here in Chicago by Jane’s Addiction lead singer, Perry Farrell. The festival takes over all of Chicago’s Grant Park. Don’t miss Nine Inch Nails, Steve Aoki, Mumford and Sons and many more!

Last but furthest from least, Ke$ha is headlining a definite can’t-miss show at the Illinois State Fair this summer in Springfield on August 17th as a part of their Grandstand Lineup, stretching from August 8-18!