Music Blog: St Patty’s-Palooza

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The weekend is almost upon the University of Illinois that brings people in from far and wide to celebrate that little bit of Irish in everyone. The school prepares for this weekend, local businesses see an influx in profit, and local police get gray hair. All jokes aside, there is a vital part of Unofficial that brings people wandering into random parties: music.

This summer I had the honor of crowd surfing during a Flogging Molly concert at Lollapalooza.  Don’t be fooled, it was cool and all, but mostly it was a surf to avoid suffocation. Irish concert goers love a good beat, but they also love a good mosh pit. Aside from the dirt, sweat, and cheers, the concert showed that a good Irish tune can make one awesome party.  If we were going to try and match this at Unofficial we would need to nail down the music that brings that concert to our I-homes (mosh pit optional).

Here are some additions that may increase your feelings of Irish pride during this holiday weekend.

The Irish Ditties:

1. The Irish Rover-The Pogues and The Dubliners
  2. The Blood of Cuchulainn (Boondock Saints theme song)-Jeff and Mychael Danna
  3. Irish Drinking Song-Flogging Molly
  4. I’m Shipping Up to Boston-Dropkick Murphys
  5. Fairytale of New York (as heard in P.S. I Love You)-The Pogues
  6. Seven Deadly Sins-Flogging Molly
  7. Whiskey in the Jar-The Dubliners
  8. Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya-Dropkick Murphys

And here are some songs that I like to call “The Everyone Else Just Here for the Party and Not At All For the Irish Music” songs:

1. I Wanna Dance With Somebody-Whitney Houston (had to…)
  2. Red Solo Cup-Toby Keith
  3. Freaks and Geeks- Childish Gambino
  4. Rack City-Tyga
  5. Domino-Jessie J
  6. The Motto- Drake ft. Lil Wayne
  7. Mac Miller- Best Day Ever
  8. Nicki Minaj and David Guetta- Turn Me On

I hope you enjoy the musical suggestions for your green weekend and feel free to share your additions or your own Unofficial soundtrack with us!
Stay hydrated, stay cool, but mostly STAY SAFE.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!