Morgan Timm, Lifestyle Blogger at MostlyMorgan.Com

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Up late studying or binge watching Netflix? Neither are likely choices for University of Illinois sophomore, Morgan Timm. A self-described night owl, Timm spends most of her nights writing and editing her blog. Featuring posts on everything from health and beauty to tips for other bloggers, it’s no wonder readers constantly reach out to her via email for advice on just about anything! This week, Her Campus Illinois got the chance to sit down with this up-and-coming blogger to learn more how she got started writing and her advice to other bloggers. 

Her Campus: Tell us about your blog. What do you write about?

Morgan Timm: “Mostly Morgan” is a college lifestyle blog, so I write about anything that might be relevant to the average college student. I’ve also gotten to the point where I write about blogging tips too.

HC: When did you start blogging?

MT: I started blogging last January on a whim. It was about midnight and the idea popped into my head, so I looked up a guide and a few hours later I had a blog. I haven’t looked back since!

HC: How do you balance your time with blogging, schoolwork and all of your other activities?

MT: That’s something I had a ton of trouble with in the beginning, but I’ve since gotten organized. I use Google calendar and a planner to map out my day. I’m a total night owl so I write most of my posts in the early hours of the morning, when I’m sure there won’t be any distractions.

HC: We know your major is speech and hearing sciences, what do you plan on doing after you graduate? Did you ever consider journalism or another similar major?

MT: Ideally after graduation I’ll take a gap year to travel and then head to graduate school.  I considered a lot of majors, but journalism never really occurred to me. I didn’t realize how much I loved to write until after I started blogging!

HC: What are your goals for your blog?

MT: Right now, I’ve been working on monetizing my blog and gaining readers. I’ve had some pretty amazing opportunities to work with brands so I’m just going to continue in the direction I’m going and hope to keep gaining momentum in the future.

HC: What’s one thing your readers don’t know about you?

MT: A lot of people mistake my openness for being super bubbly and outgoing, but I’m actually pretty reserved and quiet. I get a lot of emails from readers asking for advice on getting over shyness and other similar questions. I don’t know why they assume I’m an authority, I’m as lost as they are!

HC: What’s the “blog world” like? Are you friends with other bloggers?

MT: The blog world is mostly full of really supportive people. I’ve actually made some amazing friends through blogging. Of course every group will have a few people who try to start drama, but they’re the minority. A few weeks ago I was in Chicago for College Fashion Week and I was able to meet my friend Miche who blogs at “Buttons and Birdcages.” It was great because we were able to nerd out about things that people who don’t blog don’t really understand!

HC: What are your favorite blogs to read?

MT: I love reading “Pinch of Yum” for their income reports, Miche’s blog because she has the best style and my first blogging friend blogs at “The Adventures of Noble and Pond.”

HC: Any advice for collegiettes looking to start their own blogs?

MT: Just do it! If you ovethink it, you might talk yourself out of it. Starting a blog has been the best decision I’ve ever made and has had such a huge impact on my life. I also have an entire guide on my blog that goes step by step.

You can learn more about Morgan and read her blog at http://mostlymorgan.com/.

Photos courtesy of Morgan Timm 

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.