Meet Ashley Fister: UIUC Junior on the Road to Music Stardom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Ashley Fister isn’t your typical UIUC junior. Don’t let the sorority letters and RSO involvement fool you – this girl is more than just a college student. Fister is pursuing a music career and has even traveled to Nashville to lay down some tracks with Jeremy McCoy, bassist for The Fray. Her first single was released on iTunes in November, and this student singer is on her way to recording her first full album. Between being a student ambassador for Coca-Cola, being on the executive board for multiple organizations and maintaining membership in two honors societies, Fister had time to talk with me about her life as a student and hopeful pop star.

HC: When did you know that you wanted to be a performer?

Ashley Fister: Ever since my first dance recital when I was 3 years old. I loved being on stage and grew passionate about performing. Although I did not come from a family with any musical background, my parents supported me since the first time I expressed interest in music. Over the years, they dedicated an immense amount of time driving me to voice lessons, piano lessons and dance class. They never missed a performance, and without their encouragement, I would not be where I am today.  

HC: You used to participate in theater. What’s your favorite role you’ve ever had?

AF: One of my favorite roles was Louisa in “The Sound of Music.” This was my first experience performing in a professional theatre production, which was very exciting!  

HC: What was it like recording in Nashville? 

AF: Recording in Nashville was incredible. It was truly an experience unlike any other. I am so grateful for the opportunity to write and record with such brilliant musicians. I learned a lot of about the art of songwriting and gained a better understanding of the music industry as a whole.  

HC: What kind of sound can people expect to hear from you?

AF: Pop is the main genre of music that I sing. I have been told that I have a very soulful and powerful sound.   

HC: How do you balance your growing music career as well as your life at school?

AF: Right now, school is my main priority. I try to set aside a couple hours each week for music, but it is difficult to find time in my schedule between academics and all of the extra-curricular activities that I am involved in. I spend a lot of time traveling and working on music during summer break.   

HC: Is there anything on your bucket list that you have to do before graduating next year?

AF: Before I graduate, I hope to finish and release my entire album on iTunes!  

HC: Do you have any advice for others trying to break into the music industry?

AF: Make connections! Do not hesitate to reach out and work with others. New people bring new opportunities, and new opportunities expose you to aspects of the industry that will only help you grow as an artist. 

Mary Alex is a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She is studying communication, public relations and theatre. When not writing for Her Campus, Mary Alex loves to run, read and see plays. She also has a weakness for peanut butter, is a huge Cubs fan, and has seen every episode of Gilmore Girls multiple times.