Krista Green, Universal Pictures Campus U Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Upon realizing her devotion to film editing and production, Krista Green landed an internship with Universal Pictures. You’re probably familiar with those movie screenings on the quad, so Her Campus got the chance to interview the girl behind the scenes and see just how Green documents her dedication to filmmaking. You’ll want to “capture this!”

Her Campus: What is a Campus U intern?

Krista Green: As an intern with Universal Pictures, I’m part of a program that promotes upcoming Universal Pictures’ feature films at the University of Illinois. I plan movie screenings for students before the nationwide release and distribute free tickets to different groups on campus.

HC: How did you get involved with Universal Pictures, and what are your primary responsibilities?

KG: I got involved with Universal two years ago when a girl who currently held the position recommended me to her supervisor to be considered. After a few rounds of interviews, I was given the position. My primary responsibilities involve planning screenings and creating new ways to get the Illini ready for the upcoming releases of Universal films.

HC: Describe the marketing campaigns you’ve created as a Campus U intern.

KG: Some marketing campaigns I’ve done include screenings on campus such as “Endless Love,” “Neighbors” and just recently, “Dumb and Dumber To.” The most memorable screening I’ve done up to this point was “Neighbors.” The University of Illinois was chosen as one of the colleges to host the “Neighbors” tour where the cast of the film including Dave Franco, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Jerrod Carmichael came to campus. We even had a chance to bring them to KAM’S where they played some beer pong with students and Big Cat from Barstool Sports. The guys were tons of fun and so down-to-earth and overall excited to be hanging out with some U of I students.

HC: Have you put together any special events? If so, how do you prepare for these?

KG: Events like these are definitely a lot to prepare for, as the guys’ schedule was jam-packed to squeeze in as much orange and blue as the hours in the day permitted. I prepare by staying organized, doing as much planning as I can in advance and by figuring out what kind of bribes I’ll use to get my friends to help me this time (whether that be burritos, booze, etc.).

HC: Explain any additional film-based activities or organizations you participate in on campus.

KG: Besides working with Universal, I’m always looking for opportunities to develop my filmmaking skills. I currently am working on shooting a video for Roland Realty, and I am also on the video and photo team for our Her Campus Illinois team.

HC: How and when did you realize your passion for film and entertainment?

KG: One of my favorite parts about film is post-production, or the editing process, and I look for any opportunity in my life that I can expand my production skills. Instead of simply writing up a report of my promotional work and screening outcomes, I usually produce a video of my campaign efforts. It was one of these videos that led to one of the greatest highlights of my internship thus far. After producing a video on the “Endless Love” campaign, Shana Feste, the director of “Endless Love” emailed me to congratulate me on the success of my screening and thank me for my work. I have always known I was interested in film, but this was the turning point for my interest in editing and cutting a story together. For a director to notice what’s happening here in this small cornfield town we call Champaign was incredibly rewarding.

HC: How do you plan on advancing your career after graduation?

KG: For now, I still plan on bringing my camera anywhere I can capture moments to create something bigger and bring an audience joy and entertainment. After graduation, I plan to pursue a career in production whether that be editing films or creating trailers. However, I have an open mind and I trust that I’ll find a career that meets my dreams and leaves room for me to dream bigger.

Photos courtesy of Krista Green

My name is Jami Singer, and I am a beauty enthusiast, writing addict and fashion follower. I love all things creative, and I am dedicated to searching ideas and coming up with projects for Do-It-Yourself type crafts!
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.