Juicing – Good or Bad?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

This school year, many girls on campus started with big, health goals. Many of them included plans to hit the gym more often, to get organized and the biggest one, to start a healthy diet. So, what healthy aspect of a good diet have girls on campus been choosing? What’s a healthy study snack? The answer is: juicing. 

Juicing is the process of turning raw fruits and vegetables into a liquid smoothie or juice. In order to do so, people use juicers, which typically range anywhere between $30 all the way to $300. If done correctly, juicing is a great way to add nutrients from fruits and vegetables that many people do not normally eat. 

“I believe juicing is a easy, quick way to get your body and diet back on the right track,” Dena Waldier, sophomore at UIUC, said. “You feel better in the matter of a day.”

A good juice makes for a great study snack, Waldier also mentioned.

“It’s a great, filling and healthy snack as well,” she said. “With the right fruit and vegetables, you can make a juice just as good as candy, and you’ll feel better about eating it too.”

Instead of eating salty, sugary or fattening snacks, juicing is a great alternative. It can fuel you up to get your homework done, and it tastes great! It is a lot more fulfilling and healthier than a bag of chips. 

“I juiced in the summer to become healthier, and my mom would make fresh juices with vegetables and fruits together,” Nina Delgado, sophomore at UIUC, said. “Some great combinations for juices include kale, carrots, ginger, parsley and apples. 

A juicing machine extracts juices from fruits and vegetables, which then results in lower amount of vitamins and minerals than in the fruits and veggies to begin with. It’s essential for girls on campus to know that juicing is not an alternative to a meal. Juicing should not be the single source of daily intake of fruits and vegetables. There are proper ways to juice to benefit your health most. 

“I have never personally juiced before, but I know friends who have, and instead of it being a healthy alternative to snacking or small meals in order to cleanse your body, it becomes an extreme form of dieting and replaces full on meals,” said Gianna Rizzi, sophomore at UIUC. “It takes away vital nutrients, proteins and other essential supplements that you get from meals. If done correctly I suppose it could be a healthy option, but it is usually abused and causes more problems than results. “

It is important to know the pros and cons of juicing. If you want to juice, make sure to do it correctly and know that it is not a supplement to every single meal of the day. Many girls here on campus enjoy it as study snack! It’s also a good pick-me-up for the day! Happy juicing!