This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

We all know that moment that you put together a great outfit in your head, you try it on and look in the mirror, and it’s cute, but it’s just missing something. These items might just be that “something” that your outfit needs!

Rings

In my opinion, rings are an underrated piece of jewelry. They are one of my favorite ways to pull together an outfit. Adding one or two rings can create a more dainty, delicate look. Or, you can layer multiple rings on each hand to really glam up your look. Playing with different ring combinations is fun, and when you finally find the right combo, your outfit can really come together.

Carmen Lopez
Carmen Lopez / Unsplash

Oversized denim jacket

This has become a staple in my wardrobe. It goes with almost anything, and even if you are already wearing a pair of denim jeans, do not be afraid to throw one of these on! They can really dress an outfit up or down, depending on the look you are going for. Plus, they are a great jacket to wear when it’s chilly out but you do not want to ruin your outfit with a bulky jacket that does not match.

woman wearing denim jacket and jeans
Photo by Alexandro David from Pexels

Hoops

Hoops frame the face well and can really pull a look together. The great thing about them is there are many different kinds. While small, thick hoops are in right now, do not be afraid to play around with different widths and sizes. Hoops can be the perfect earring to elevate your look.

Belts

Belts are perfect for adding more structure to an outfit, and can be worn even if your outfit does not have belt loops. Belts shape the body well and can completely change the way a shirt or dress looks. Shoelaces or even long necklaces can function as the perfect belt, so do not be afraid to experiment. 

Sunglasses

A pair of fun sunglasses can change a look completely. Even if the sun isn’t out, they look great even if they’re just resting on your head. The right pair of sunglasses can really make your look more sophisticated or more fun.  

Bandanas

If your outfit is showing a lot of skin, throwing a bandana on might be the perfect option to balance that out. Bandanas come in so many different patterns and there are so many different ways to wear them. You can wear them in your hair, around your wrist, or around your neck to add more substance to your look.

Woman with silk headscarf and sunglasses
Photo by Donald Dondada Matsoga from Pexels

Before giving up on an outfit because it doesn’t live up to the expectations you had in your mind, try playing around with these items. They might be just what is needed to spice up your look.

Jessica Penny

Illinois '23

I am currently studying communication at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I have a strong passion for communicating with others through my writing.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.