Life > Experiences

It Doesn’t Have To Be Lonely Being Alone: How To Incorporate Self-Love During Love Bug Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s that time of the year again: chocolates in the shapes of hearts, pink and red themes in restaurants, flowers being sold out everywhere and couples preparing for a romantic day full of love. Maybe you feel a strong sense of FOMO as you see cute couples holding hands and planning dates around campus. And while these feelings are all completely valid and normal, I’m here to tell you today that it doesn’t have to be lonely being alone this year for Valentine’s Day and here’s why.

We live in a society where we are constantly reminded that we need to be surrounded by the love of others in order to feel something special. But often, what we fail to realize, is that feeling special starts with you. Self-love is one of the most important aspects in life that takes time to both build and sustain, because if you do not first love yourself, how are you supposed to show or accept love from others? So, in lieu of boosting self-love this Valentine’s Day, here are five practices to incorporate this love bug season.

More Than What Meets the Eye

Take time to think about what makes you unique. Is it the way you laugh when your best friends tell you a joke? Is it your dedication despite adversity? There is something special in all of us, all you have to do is highlight it.

Buy Yourself Flowers

Just as Miley Cyrus states, “I can buy myself flowers,” because there is absolutely no shame in taking the initiative to treat yourself with things that bring you joy. Don’t wait for someone else to come along and buy those gifts for you, but rather take the initiative and get it for yourself. A new jewelry piece, that sold out perfume all over TikTok or even a new book.

Breathe

The rush of the archetypal college student can sometimes get to us. So, take the time to simply breathe. Inhale and exhale. Be in the moment and realize how far you have come because one of the greatest forms of self-love is learning to be there for yourself first.

Date yourself

You might not have a significant other or partner on February 14th, but you do have yourself, and that’s enough of a reason to go on a date. Take time to get ready in your favorite attire and strut into a restaurant, allowing yourself to order anything you desire.

Start a tradition

I make it a habit to buy myself something special every Valentine’s Day. Regardless of your relationship status, you will find that maintaining this tradition adds to your self-love regime and soon enough, it becomes a habit. 

No matter what your relationship status is this Valentine’s Day season, remember to love yourself. Also, don’t forget at the end of the day, you are the person you spend the rest of your life with, so why not love her? Until next time, stay uniquely you!

Mierra Freeman

Illinois '26

Hiya! My name is Mierra Freeman, and I am currently a sophomore studying sociology, while on the Pre-Law track. Although I want to pursue Criminal law as my career path, I have always had a passion and special place in my heart for all things beauty, self care, skincare, positivity, and fashion! I hope that together we are able to embark on this wonderful journey in the world of beauty and positivity. Never forget to stay uniquely you!!💗