This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Valentine’s Day is less than a week away! Like myself, some of you (I hope) are struggling to give your Valentine a proper gift due to lack of funds, also known as being a broke college student. Also, if you’re a procrastinator like me, then you have barely started working on a gift. Valentine’s Day is known for classic gifts in all shades of reds and pinks. One might think to give a box of chocolates and a teddy bear, and then you’re set! But where’s the heart in that? Heartfelt, homemade gifts are a big component of making Valentine’s Day special, and I’m going to give some cute, inexpensive ideas I’ve come up with, and might be giving out myself. 

sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Dollar Store Cards

Personally, I hate receiving store-bought cards, I love the handmade ones. But, this is Valentine’s Day, and making a card in the shape of a heart is more than appropriate! This simple way would be to grab a sheet of printer paper, cut out a heart and then fold it in half. Simple, and cute. However, if you want to take it a step up, the dollar store has so many different supplies to jazz it up. I’ve recently bought a pack of heart-shaped felt, some lace and rhinestones all for about four dollars. Fold the heart in half, write your message and then glitz it up!

Origami Heart Notes

Have you seen those jars all over Pinterest filled with handwritten slips of paper? This is basically that, but with a twist. To make it more festive, fold (or cut if you’re not the best at origami) slips of paper into hearts. It also looks so cute to use some colored construction paper for these notes, instead of plain printer paper.

Felt “Plushies”

This one requires a little more work but is still inexpensive and easy. All you really need is felt, cotton, hot glue and whatever else you need to decorate. This is kind of like a knockoff version of stitching. Whatever shape you want to make, cut out two (I’m going to use a heart in this example to make it easier to explain). You trace two hearts of the same size on felt, cut both out and glue most of them together (leave a little bit open!). With that opening, take some cotton to stuff it and then glue it closed. And that’s it! I like gluing on buttons for eyes and drawing a little smile!

I hope you have a good time making these gifts! Remember to not feel bad if you don’t have a special someone to gift these to, as they are perfect to give to your Galentines as well! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Jo Gomez

Illinois '26

Hey!! I'm Jo and I'm a freshman speech and hearing sciences major! I like to read fiction novels and write creatively for fun. I also really like binge-watching shows as well as shopping!