Illinois Ranks No. 1 in Trojan’s Sexual Health Report Card

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It seems that U of I likes it on top. Of the rankings, that is. The University of Illinois has overthrown the reigning champs at Columbia University to take the number one spot in Trojan Condoms annual sexual health report card.

The survey, which is conducted by Sperling’s BestPlaces, ranks universities across the nation on the health services they provide to students.

Illinois moved up from their number 2 spot in last year’s rankings, and made a huge leap from 64th in 2010.  The University has spent the last two years investing time and resources to better the sexual education and health services on campus.

“The Illini fought their way to the top, excelling in almost every category,” said Bert Sperling, president of Sperling’s BestPlaces. “From providing quality lecture and outreach programs, to the impressive sexual health information available on the website, the campus serves as an impressive model for schools around the country.”

The survey ranked universities on the following qualities:

1.  Hours of operation

2.  Allow drop-ins or require appointments for student scheduling

3.  Quality of sexual health information and resources on website

4.  Contraceptive availability — free or at cost

5.  Condom availability — free or at cost

6.  HIV testing on-site (On/off campus, cost)

7.  STI testing on-site (On/off campus, cost)

8.  Lecture/outreach programs and student peer groups for sexual health education

9.  Sexual assault programs, resources or services

10.  Overall website usability and quality 

11.  Extra credit

Kelly McAninch is a member of a teaching team for the Sexual Communication course here on campus. Sexual health, she explains, requires more than just learning about these services.

“Sexual health involves acquiring both information and skills,” says McAninch. “So sexual health involves knowing both what is healthy and how to actually put into practice those healthy choices.”

With this school of thought, the lecture/outreach programs are just as important as condom availability.

“Our sexual assault education and outreach programs are outstanding as well, says McAninch, “and many of my students can recite the timely and important information they have learned from these programs.”

Trojan noted that Illinois shows “exemplary sexual health programming on campus, earning perfect scores in condom availability, HIV testing, lecture/outreach programs and student peer groups, quality of the sexual health information on the school website, and overall website usability and quality.”

Despite Illinois’ football season, we can still find a way to say that we’re number one. 

Here is a list of the most and least sexually healthy schools:

10 Most Sexually Healthy Schools

1.     University of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign

2.     Brown University

3.     Columbia University in the City of New York

4.     Princeton Univeristy

5.     University of Wisconsin-Madison

6.     Yale University

7.     Univeristy of Arizona

8.     University of Iowa

9.     Colorado State University

10. Oregon State University

10 Lease Sexually Healthy Schools

132.  Seton Hall University

133.  Savannah State University

134.  Louisiana Tech University

135.  St. John’s University -New York

136.  University of New Orleans

137.  Chicago State University

138.  Troy State University-Main Campus

139.  Providence College

140.  Brigham Young University

141.  U.S. Air Force Academy 

Mary Alex is a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She is studying communication, public relations and theatre. When not writing for Her Campus, Mary Alex loves to run, read and see plays. She also has a weakness for peanut butter, is a huge Cubs fan, and has seen every episode of Gilmore Girls multiple times.