“I Got it From My Mama”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

“Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.” My mom wasn’t too hands on when it came to teaching me about hair and makeup (I had an older sister for that) but this phrase was drilled into my head for as long as I can remember. I completely believe it too, my mom has the skin of a 30 year old and, well, let’s just say she’s a little older. (Love you, mom!)

With mom’s weekend coming up, I asked a few U of I collegiettes to share words of wisdom that their mothers have given them, along with advice to make this mom’s weekend a hit.

“I brought you into this world; I can take you out of it”junior Megan Olin’s mom
So it’s not really advice as much as a threat (that we’ve all probably heard at one point or another), but it’s still applicable for the weekend. One of the easiest things you can do with your visiting mama is let her see your college world. Walk around campus, show her where your classes are, where your sorority house is, where your favorite bars are, introduce her to Urban and introduce her to your friends. Growing up, your mom knew so much about you and your friends because she was there to witness it. Now invite her back in to see your fabulous collegiette life.

“Play the field; don’t tie yourself down. That’s what marriage is for.”junior Karrah Castillo’s mom
Dressing up in heels, taking shots and dancing all night describes an average night out for a college girl, but when was the last time your mom got to do that? Our mom’s were once colliegettes believe it or not, and could probably use a night to let loose. Take your mom out to the bars, have her be your wingman and block any advances from creepo guys for her (your welcome, dad). But remember, you are with your mom, so toning it down a little bit is probably a good idea. Like junior Gwen Mallon’s mom always says, “no one will buy the cow if they can get the milk for free.”  (Or junior Sarah Trevor’s mom: “don’t get pregnant”).

“Everyone you meet is fighting a battle”sophomore Alissa Hembrough’s mom
Want to support a good cause with your mama? The Illinois Lacrosse team is hosting two breast cancer awareness games and selling t-shirts with proceeds going to cancer research. Thinking of another battle? The Atius Sachem annual Mom’s Day Sing competition is always a good time and an alternative to hitting up the bars if your mom is done for the night after two glasses of wine.

“Remember who you are”junior Wendy Love’s mom
The best part of Mom’s Weekend is that it brings a little slice of home to campus when we are all gearing up for the end of semester. For those of you who were lucky enough to travel over spring break trip, you might not have been able to go home at all. Do things that you guys used to do at home — go see a movie, make a trip out to the mall, grab coffee and just catch up. During this hectic time of the year, visiting Moms can bring a breath of fresh air (plus anything that you left at home that you might be needing in the near future — it’ll save on shipping costs!)

Our moms took care of us for 18 years, we collegiettes can certainly take care of them for two days. Happy Mom’s Weekend!