This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The other day, I came across a TikTok of a girl showing the difference between her outfits for her computer science class versus her design class. She dressed in plain neutral clothes for her STEM class and bright colorful ones for her design. As a freshman, one of the most important things I’ve had to learn, like any woman in STEM, is building a positive academic mindset in order to succeed.

Feature Hero Womens Studies Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

building your Mindset

If you like to paint your nails bright pink and wear skirts to class, then paint your nails and wear that skirt. Don’t be afraid to embrace your femininity if that’s what you enjoy. Women often feel the need to present more masculine or change the way they appear in order to have their ideas be taken seriously, but the way you present should not define your intelligence. You are one of a kind and bring a unique perspective that will benefit those around you regardless of your physical appearance.

Imposter syndrome, thinking that you don’t belong somewhere, is a common struggle that especially women in male dominated fields deal with. You may find yourself walking on eggshells in class with the fear of being wrong and having those around you also think you don’t belong. However, it’s important to remind yourself that being wrong is part of the learning process. Answering a question incorrectly does not define your abilities or potential to succeed. Learning is making mistakes, asking questions and growing from the experience. If you knew everything already, you wouldn’t be taking the class.

Cutting yourself some slack. Everyone learns at their own pace. Some topics may come easier to others, but that doesn’t mean you’ll never catch on. It just may take some extra time. It’s also highly likely others have the same questions as you and are making the same mistakes too.

what you CAN do

Changing your mindset is a process that takes time and practice. Until that shift happens, there are some other things you can do:

Sit in the front of the class. It may feel safer to sit in the back where no one can see you but sitting closer to the professor makes big lecture classes less daunting. It makes the room feel smaller and less intimidating to ask questions or offer up answers. Also, it forces you to pay closer attention to class and not check out when the class gets confusing.

Introduce yourself. Building connections with classmates, specifically other women in your class, will make the class feel less isolating. Difficult classes are always more enjoyable when you are struggling with others rather than by yourself. Forming study groups is also great since it’s less scary to make mistakes and ask questions in smaller group settings with people that you know.

Join student groups. There are so many student groups on any campus that allow you to connect with other women in your field. From women in engineering to women in medicine, there’s pretty much a group for everything you could think of. And if there isn’t, start one!

This doesn’t just apply to STEM classes. You should never let others or yourself scare you away from pursuing your interests even if it may take some extra studying or seeking out additional resources. College is difficult for everyone, but always remind yourself that you are just as capable of succeeding as anyone.

Rawan El-Bawab

Illinois '26

My name is Rawan, I'm a freshmen at UIUC from Chicago and I'm super excited to be a part of Her Campus! A little about me, I pretty much spend all my free time hanging out with friends, watching movies/TV shows and listening to music.