How To Celebrate All Of The Relationships In Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Whether you are single or not, listen up. February 14th is not limited to romantic love, and this article will convince you why. Yes, commercialization makes Valentine’s Day appear only for couples but that is FAR from the truth. February 14th is the day when you celebrate ALL of the love in your life. Extend the appreciation to your friends and family. In this article, we’ll discuss how to celebrate all of the special people in your life. Alright, let’s get started.

Sibling Love

I would like to begin by saying that you might not like your siblings, but you love them. While I certainly adore my older sister, I understand the sibling rivalry and the rage they can cause you. If you are an only child, then this could apply to a sibling figure (or multiple) in your life too. While it might seem difficult to be kind to your sibling(s), you only have to do it a few days out of the year, and Valentine’s Day is one of them.

For your siblings, try to make their day a little better. Bring them their favorite treat, or spend time with them. If you and your sibling(s) are long-distance, then send the text or make that call. Let them know that you are thinking about them. If you want to be the sibling of the year, then you could always get them a gift too.

Parents + Parental Figures

If you are not the person who tells their parents you love them regularly, then maybe you should start. Communicate how much you appreciate them for taking care of you. Your parents do so much for you. Try to reciprocate some of the things they do for you. If you live far away from your parents, then call them. There are a lot of college students who only call their parents once or twice a week. I understand that we’re all busy but put in the effort to at least call or text to see how they’re doing. At the very least, tell your parents that you appreciate them and love them dearly this 14th. 

Grandparents + Other Family

Spread the love to your entire family, especially your grandparents. Most likely, you call your parents or your siblings more than your grandparents. This year, call up your grandparent(s) and talk with them for a little bit. They would LOVE to talk to you. They probably aren’t able to see you and talk with you as much as they would like. 

Spread the love even further. Tell your favorite aunt, uncle, or cousin how much they mean to you. If you guys don’t text as much, then Valentine’s Day would be the perfect day to check in with them. 

Besties

Tell your friends how much they mean to you. You don’t have to get all sentimental or anything but let them know their importance. If you aren’t in a relationship or even if you are, make sure to make time for your bestie. As far as I’m concerned, Valentine’s Day is pretty much the whole week — meaning you have time to spend with those special people.

Hopefully, this article changed your mind about Valentine’s Day being for couples only. It’s for everyone that makes your life a little brighter, a little better.

Autumn Bunzell

Illinois '27

Hi there! My name is Autumn Rose, and I'm from Utica, Illinois. I live minutes away from Starved Rock State Park. I attended LaSalle-Peru Township High School which consists of only about 1,200 students. Within my family, I'm the youngest in a close-knit household, and I have an older sister who I absolutely adore. As well, I have a golden retriever and a grey tabby cat. Currently, I'm a first-year neuroscience student at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. Both the physical and psychological aspects of the human brain fascinate me. In addition, I'm interested in nutrition and how this field can be applied to neuroscience. There is a field labeled nutritional neuroscience that studies how the consumption of food, minerals, and supplements impacts an individual's cognition, mood, and overall brain health. Outside of the classroom, my hobbies vary tremendously. Music wise, I listen to Bryce Vine and Bazzi, but I also love Etta Mae, Arethra Franklin, and Frank Sinatra. As I do my morning routine, I listen to health and wellness podcasts on Spotify. In between classes, I do yoga and Pilates. At night, I love to do some skincare, and then crawl into bed with one of my books. Typically, I partake in crocheting and baking in the colder months. As a side note, my favorite season is fall because of the cool weather and all of the pumpkin/apple candles, foods, coffees, etc.