HC Homepage?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
HC Homepage?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How To Build A Morning Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The lifestyle of “that girl” has taken over social media platforms. This lifestyle involves a healthy and well-balanced life enriched with self-care and self-love habits. One aspect of this lifestyle is the consistency of a morning routine. When creating a routine, add in the steps slowly. Okay, enough with the introduction. Let’s start building your routine!

Wake up early

Wake up early and go to bed early. Sleep is essential because it allows us to live our happiest and healthiest lives. Wake up one and a half to two hours before you leave the house. Give yourself enough time to eat breakfast and to get ready. Early wake-up times will get easier when you become consistent.

No Scroll mornings

Try not to scroll social media when you wake up because it can put a damper on a new day. Trade scrolling for stretching or laying in bed taking it all in.

Journaling, Daily Gratitude + Affirmations

Start every day on a positive note. List what you are grateful for. Say as many affirmations as needed. The way we talk to ourselves and about ourselves does matter. To begin journaling, designate a certain journal or folder in your notes app. Then, answer a prompt or free-write away!

Meditation

Set aside time for your mind to wander a bit. The action of mediation can put you in a preparative mindset that readies you for your day.

Breakfast and a drink

Make yourself a healthy and well-balanced breakfast every morning that makes you excited to eat it. Listen to your body and what it’s craving. Take the time to make yourself a quality coffee, tea, or a smoothie! 

Morning movement

Move your body in a way that feels good. You can head to the gym, go for a run, or roll out a mat in your dorm. Choose the exercises based on what feels the best to your body and what you enjoy the most.  

Clean up a bit

Tidy up your house, dorm room or apartment before you leave in the morning. Make your bed and put away a few items. 

Self-care

Self-care is non-negotiable. You must take care of yourself. Take the time to do skincare based on your skin type (dry, oil, or a combination). In addition, get ready in a way that makes you feel beautiful and confident. 

Design by Addie Abujade for Her Campus
Design by Addie Abujade for Her Campus

Plan your day

Plan your day. Try making a list of everything that must be done. Also, set aside downtime for you. Give yourself time to partake in a hobby, curl up with a good book, or watch one of your comfort shows. 

take a breather

Allow yourself a few minutes to take everything in. You can give yourself permission to just sit there and be. You do not need to constantly be doing something. It may do you some good to let both your body and mind wake up. 

Autumn Bunzell

Illinois '27

Hi there! My name is Autumn Rose, and I'm from Utica, Illinois. I live minutes away from Starved Rock State Park. I attended LaSalle-Peru Township High School which consists of only about 1,200 students. Within my family, I'm the youngest in a close-knit household, and I have an older sister who I absolutely adore. As well, I have a golden retriever and a grey tabby cat. Currently, I'm a first-year neuroscience student at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. Both the physical and psychological aspects of the human brain fascinate me. In addition, I'm interested in nutrition and how this field can be applied to neuroscience. There is a field labeled nutritional neuroscience that studies how the consumption of food, minerals, and supplements impacts an individual's cognition, mood, and overall brain health. Outside of the classroom, my hobbies vary tremendously. Music wise, I listen to Bryce Vine and Bazzi, but I also love Etta Mae, Arethra Franklin, and Frank Sinatra. As I do my morning routine, I listen to health and wellness podcasts on Spotify. In between classes, I do yoga and Pilates. At night, I love to do some skincare, and then crawl into bed with one of my books. Typically, I partake in crocheting and baking in the colder months. As a side note, my favorite season is fall because of the cool weather and all of the pumpkin/apple candles, foods, coffees, etc.