How to Start and Maintain a Summer Garden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Summer is here, and arguably one of the best advantages of the season is fresh fruits and vegetables.  In-season produce makes a great addition to a summer diet and is plentiful this time of year. Whether you are home for the summer or sticking around the CU, fresh herbs and vegetables can be easily acquired without a trip to the farmer’s market. Use your own backyard, a pot, or simply a sunny windowsill for to start great hobby that will also benefit your health.

Growing your own herbs and vegetables is a way to save money on groceries as well as ensure that your food is chemical-free and safe. Stan Cope, gardener and president of Bonnie Plants–the largest producer of vegetable and herb plants in North America–offered some tips that will save time and ensure gardening success, even if you may not exactly have a green thumb.

According to Cope, the road to success as a gardener includes choosing the correct soil and location, planting at the right time, weeding and watering responsibly. And of course, feeding and nurturing your plants.

Whether you have a big back yard or just a small patch of side yard, the first step to create a thriving garden is to survey your soil, said Cope. When deciding where to position your plants, good soil is key.

According to Cope, “The best soil is loam — a soft, dark, crumbly dirt. Loamy soil holds water, allows for drainage and is easy to dig.” However, if you happen to only encounter clay or sandy soil, he recommended adding peat moss and bone meal.

No yard? No problem. Gardening can be done from the comfort of your two-bedroom apartment by planting in containers on a deck, balcony or even propped on a windowsill.

Wherever you choose to place your garden, it’s important to make sure the plants are able to get at least six hours of sunshine a day, said Cope. A sunny and open site is the best choice for a successful harvest.

Not quite sure you know what to grow? Cope advises cultivating vegetables that are expensive to buy in the grocery store, such as tomatoes and peppers. Herbs such as rosemary, cilantro, parsley or basil are also great choices, especially if you’re able to grow them on a kitchen windowsill where they are easily accessible while cooking.

If you want to  be able to munch on fresh veggies before summer ends, Cope suggested saving a little time and effort by opting for transplants. These seedlings are already about six weeks old when you plant them, so you’re not starting from scratch as you would with seeds. This way, you’ll begin harvesting much sooner, he said. Seedlings can usually be found for a relatively cheap price at gardening centers such as Wal-Mart..
Now that you’ve selected your plants and location, don’t forget to feed them! Like any living thing, your vegetable plants will need food and water to grow and survive, Cope said. He also suggested, when feeding plants, to try to avoid chemical fertilizers that could potentially seep into groundwater.

Also remember to give your garden a good watering once or twice a week. Some plants may need even more attention, especially in extremely hot weather. Allow your water to seep four to six inches into the soil, Cope instructed.

So if you’re looking for something to do this summer, take the opportunity to try your hand at gardening, and enjoy the fresh, rewarding products of your labor.

For more information visit www.bonnieplants.com.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!