nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Snag an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Being a student at the University of Illinois provides many opportunities to advance a career. In the prime of internship season, many students are on the lookout for their perfect internship that just might be the beginning of a lifelong career.

The Career Center: One resource at the University of Illinois that will help students get what they are looking for is The Career Center. The Career Center website lists various services offered to students including building a resume, building a network, and interview preparation.

An internship starts with crafting a cover letter, sending in a complete resume, and a possible possibly doing an interview. For students that are scared of how to do everything necessary to secure an internship, the services mentioned above will help. For a resume, specifically, The Career Center website explicitly says what a resume is, when a student should begin to write a resume, what a resume can include, and how The Career Center can help with a resume.

According to the website, The Career Center also “offers a free resume peer review service and had printed materials on the resume writing process, as well as examples in our resource center.”

The Career Center is located on 715 S. Wright Street, Champaign Illinois. The resume review hours are by appointment between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

I-Link: As for actually finding internships to apply for, the online job board for the University of Illinois is called I-link. I-link is a program through The Career Center. Through this website, students gain valuable knowledge about events going on around campus that can help further their career.

For example, an event marketed on the I-Link website earlier this week was the Illini Career and Internship Fair Employer Spotlight. There was a description of the event, as well as the date and time of the event.

There is a tab on the top of the website titled “jobs” and under this, students can find jobs and internships that they qualify for. Students can apply for the jobs directly through I-Link. There is also a link called “Campus Interviews I Qualify For” where students can see what companies are coming to campus to conduct interviews.

According to the Crain’s Chicago Business article, “How much do graduates of Illinois universities earn,” students at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign make an average of $56,600 dollars after attending. Not only is this above the national average, it shows that students at the University of Illinois are at an advantage for finding jobs and internships just because they attended this university.

There are many other ways to find the perfect internship. Some professors will specifically tell their students about internship opportunities. There is also always Google, where a student can type in their major followed by the word internship and find internships to apply for.

Internships are highly sought-after which makes them all the more competitive. Getting a great education and taking advantage of all the resources offered by the University of Illinois will help secure an internship and then a full time job after college.

Photo Sources:

www.careercenter.illinois.edu

https://i-link-illinois-csm.symplicity.com/students/

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20150914/NEWS13/150919932/how-muc…

I am a junior at the University of Illinois studying journalism and communications. I love to write about news and sports. In my free time I like watching netflix and sports.