How to Score Holiday Deals and Steals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Checking your bank account after going shopping for holiday gifts can be as frightful as the weather outside. With the spirit of giving being almost addictive, it can be oh-so-easy to overspend while shopping. This year, however, don’t feel like you have to spend your entire savings from your summer job. By taking a little extra time to investigate what’s on your shopping list, you can buy the gifts you want without exceeding your budget.

Everyone loves to give the gift of luxury, but that often comes with a more naughty than nice price tag. However, you can still give designer names at an affordable price by checking out “off-price” retail stores. TJ Maxx is the most well known of these types of stores, but others include Marshalls and Nordstrom Rack.

Off-price retailers buy the same merchandise from the same mainstream retailers as major department stores, such as Macy’s and Nordstrom, but they order products that were over produced or have minor mistakes. Because they can buy items at a much lower cost, they can sell them for cheaper, as well, usually between 20-60 percent off.

Don’t fret about not finding this season’s trends, though, “Most off-price retailers promise that at least 85 percent of it is in season,” Tania Anderson, blogger at The Washington Post, said. So, remember those designer leather booties you’ve been eying at Macy’s? Find them for almost half the price at TJ Maxx.

Don’t have time to make it to the mall for your holiday shopping between cramming for exams and packing to go home for break? Countless online retailers are there to save you — and your checking account — this holiday season. Sites such as HauteLook, Rue La La and Gilt partner with designers to offer limited-time sales for site members. You can create a free account by visiting the website or downloading the mobile app. Sales usually start at a certain time each day and last for about 48 hours or until all merchandise is sold.

These sites are great for getting designer pieces for a lower price! For you shoe lovers out there, ShoeDazzle.com and 6pm.com offer similar deals but on thousands of designer footwear. Be sure to check these sites often though; they usually offer less of each product than normal retailers so they sell out much faster.

If you can’t find quite what you’re looking for at any of these stellar savings stores, chances are you can find a coupon somewhere. If you tend to shop at a few certain stores, sign up for their email lists. Often times, especially during the holiday season, they send out coupons and deals almost daily, especially for new members. Look into any rewards programs, too. Stores like Victoria’s Secret, Express and Old Navy mail out tons of coupons to reward club members.

If you’re looking to make a large purchase at a retailer, ask about store credit cards. Though many people write them off as unnecessary, they can save you quite a bit if you’re already planning on spending a lot. Just be sure to research the fine print so you’re able to cancel it if needed.

Though many digital coupons are faulty, RetailMeNot usually has legitimate promo codes. Many of their codes are for free shipping or for a certain percentage off your total order. When primarily shopping online this season, free shipping can really add up to save you tons! Retailmenot.com works by partnering with retailers who share their coupon codes to increase traffic on their site and by consumers submitting discounts and coupons they receive or come across.

As this holiday season creeps up, you may not be able to resist overindulging in cookies and pies, but at least you can avoid overindulging in your wallet! 

Molly is currently a senior at the University of Illinois studying Communication. As a self-described fashionista and retail-therapy junky, she's working towards a career in public relations in the fashion industry. When she isn't obsessing over fashion magazines or watching Law and Order, Molly is very involved with her sorority, where she has served multiple leadership positions.