This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Break outs – they happen to the best of us. From stress to what we eat to what products we use on our skin, it’s hard to say what exactly causes sudden break outs because it’s different for everyone. But I am certain about one thing for sure and that is that they’re never fun to deal with. I know from my personal experience that it’s so frustrating to break out one day and have absolutely no idea why. Although we can’t control when or why we break out, there are tons of things that you can do to try to minimize the appearance and hopefully clear up your face – here are just a few tips!

1. Wash Your Face After Working Out

If you’re someone who likes to break a sweat, it is incredibly important to wash your face right after your gym session! Going to the gym has so many mental and physical benefits, but it’s also important to be aware of the fact that sweat, oil, and bacteria accumulate on your face when you workout; therefore, it’s ideal to quickly wash up after your time at the gym so you don’t run the risk of clogged pores. If you’re short on time after the gym you can always bring facial wipes – they’re super effective and convenient!

2. Make Sure Your Towels and Sheets are Clean

This is a tip I never thought about until I started breaking out, and it makes total sense. We use towels to wash and dry off our face daily and lay on our pillow case every night – if these items are contaminated, they can rub off onto our skin, only making a breakout worse. Also, drying off your clean face with reused, (probably) dirty towels isn’t the best idea, so be sure to wash them regularly (same for your sheets).

3. Avoid Touching/Picking at Your Face

Although it’s terribly tempting to want to touch and pick at your face when you break out, it’s really best to avoid doing so. Think about it: our hands come into contact with tons of germs and bacteria throughout the day and if you’re touching your face, whatever is on your hands transfers onto and can worsen your breakout. Just like making sure your towels and sheet are clean, it’s important to make sure that before your touch your face (e.g. when you wash it) that your hands are clean too. In addition, it’s best to avoid popping/picking at your pimples – this can cause scarring, infections, irritation, and so much more. 

4. See a Dermatologist 

If you feel like you’re doing everything right and still aren’t seeing the results you want, it’s definitely worth seeing a dermatologist. They can diagnose and treat any issues you may have with your skin, as well as help you get to the root of these issues and prescribe medications if necessary. It’s always a good idea to consult with a professional and see what they have to say!

Pro Tip: Less is more – you don’t need a crazy long routine to have healthy skin. It’s also always good to stick to products you know and love that work well with your skin type. 

Photo 1 | Photo 2 Photo 3 | Photo 4

Lauren Weissman

Illinois '21

University of Illinois- Urbana Champaign
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.