This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

I can’t be the only one who made a New Year’s resolution to become a morning person. With the start of a new semester, many of us have realized that morning classes do exist, for better or for worse. If you happen to have lecture early or just want a head start to your day, here’s what it takes to become a morning person!

Sleep early

This may sound cliche, but it’s the key to transitioning into becoming a morning person. I’m a night owl at heart, but after a few nights of forcing myself to get to bed early and waking up early, it became natural for me to start getting sleepy at a normal hour.

Make a routine and stick to it

Having a nighttime routine can make all the difference. Before bed you should try to wind down with either a book, a podcast, or some relaxing music – anything to get you off your phone. I also like turning on fairy lights in my room to create a more peaceful atmosphere until I’m ready to sleep.

Hydrate

Drink lots of water! I like to leave a water bottle or glass of water beside me to drink right when I wake up. If you like having your daily cup of coffee, make sure you’re still drinking water along with that.

Plan your outfit the night before

Mornings become a lot easier when you wake up and already know what you’re going to wear that day. Having your clothes laid out for you in advance saves a ton of time and doesn’t have you stressing about what to wear when you’re in a hurry to head out the door.

Don’t hit snooze!

I can’t emphasize this enough, but you should absolutely NOT hit snooze. You’re just going to fall back asleep and regret it, and then you’ll be rushing the rest of the morning. But in case you do hit snooze, make sure you have multiple alarms as a back up!

Play music

Make a ‘mornings’ playlist! Playing music while getting ready puts me in a good mood and ready to take on the day ahead. If you don’t want to make your own playlist or are looking for new music, try listening to some of Spotify’s premade playlists!

Eat breakfast

I know a lot of us don’t have enough time to eat a nice breakfast, but anything is better than nothing! Even if you have to grab a granola bar to eat on the way to class, it’ll still give you some energy to start your day. But if you do happen to have some extra time, sit down and have a breakfast you’ll enjoy – you can even make breakfast something to look forward to if that motivates you to get out of bed.

Photo 1  | Photo 2  | Photo 3

Melanie Marin

Illinois '21

Melanie is a senior majoring in marketing and international business management at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She spends her free time going to concerts, binging shows on netflix, and baking. Follow her on instagram @melaniemarin9
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.