Holiday Events in Chicago You NEED to Attend This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s starting to get colder in Champaign and finals are just around the corner. While these things fill most students minds with dread, you can take comfort in that fact that winter break is almost here; an entire month to just relax and unwind after a stressful semester. Chicago offers tons of fun things to do over break and especially for the holidays.

Macy’s

Macy’s offers that throw-back holiday feel with holiday-themed windows and decorations. Macy’s is a great way to spend your time in the city with your family to just relax. The historic Walnut Room also offers a nice place to have a meal with your family in a holiday environment.

Christkindlmarket Chicago

The Chriskindlmarket is an open-air market located in Daley Plaza. It runs from November 18th to December 24th, and offers a great time to spend with family and friends. The market offers German food and drink, different events and vendors. It’s a very relaxed environment that is great to grab a drink with friends or just walk around and catch up with family. If you’re in the city Christkindlmarket is a place that you should definitely stop by.

Ice skating in Millennium Park

While you’re at Millennium Park taking those obligatory pictures with the Bean, go to the McCormick Tribune ice rink. The rink opens November 18th and closes March 5th. It’s free to skate and you can rent skates for a small fee. The best time to go skating is at night, even though it’s cold,  with the lights are on over the rink and the city lit up all around you, it makes for a perfect holiday night.

Caroling

Millennium Park also offers caroling on Friday nights from 6-7 p.m. at Cloud Gate. Caroling starts on November 25th and goes through December 16th. Carolers can sing holiday songs to the backdrop of the city. So, if you want to hear some holiday music or want to sing along this is the event for you. Plus it’s free!

Ugly Sweater Run

If you’re looking for something more active this holiday season or just want to burn off some of the holiday calories, the ugly sweater run is a 5k run benefiting One Warm Coat. Simply grab some friends and your ugliest holiday sweater for this run. This year the run takes place on December 16th at 11 a.m. at Soldier Field. Tickets are $35 are you get a hat, cocktail (21+) and to experience the other events going on.

Zoo Lights

Lincoln Park Zoo decorates each year with holiday lights. The lights start on November 25th and run through January 1st. The zoo also offers various activities and events during the lights so there is something for everyone!            

Photo Credits: 

Market: http://www.thegoldenscope.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/17aa9621283993fb4ead20e4a40f82cc_XL.jpg

Ice skating: http://chicagofree.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Millenium_Park_ice_skating.jpg

Zoo lights: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7153/6410034341_3276ab4419_z.jpg

I'm a Journalism major at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My passion is writing and I hope to do so for the rest of my life ~
Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter