Heat Up with the Brazilian Blowout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

We can obviously all agree that this weather is not doing any of us any good. I know that for me, my hair is the latest victim in my struggle against freezing cold Illinois weather. I own too many cute wool hats in preparation for bad hair days. However, I may have found the perfect solution in the battle for shiny smooth hair come wind, rain, hail or snow (or all four at once): The Brazilian Blowout.

This new hair technology t
hat gained popularity in the last year or so is a much greater improvement over the last few hair chemical treatments that have come out. The Brazilian Blowout, American Salon’s 2010 Professional Choice Winner, is made without any harsh chemicals like every other hair straightening treatment in the industry. A blurb from their direct website explains the process perfectly:

“Through the use of a Brazilian Super Nutrient Complex and a proprietary polymer system, the Brazilian Blowout actually improves the condition of the hair by creating a protective protein layer around the hair shaft to eliminate frizz and smooth the cuticle.”

Tracy Shankas
, a hairstylist at Hair Benders, (a salon located right next to T.I.S bookstore in Champaign), explains the process in an even simpler way. “The protein layer is called Keratin,” she explains,  “It’s a protein that is naturally found in our hair. It keeps the hair healthy and shiny but overtime, because of heat styling and age, we begin to lose some of the kertain that’s already in our hair. The Brazilian Blowout just replaces that.”

Tracy is certified to do the Brazilian Blowout treatment, along with a couple of other stylists at Hair Benders (one salon of two in Champaign that has certified stylists).

“The treatment eliminates frizz and lasts up to 12 weeks. Your hair will be straight or will take you about 5-10 minutes to straighten (according to your hair type). Very curly hair will not be very straight after the treatment but the hassle of straightening or styling it will be cut down considerably,” Tracy says, “you could get out of the shower without even touching it if you wanted to.”

According to Tracy, the treatment is very simple: They put the treatment products in your hair, then blow dry and straighten it. Then they use a deep conditioner to seal the cuticle. There are so many rules with other treatments: don’t wash your hair for 3 days, don’t tie it up, don’t tuck it behind your ear. With the Brazilian Blowout, you’re good to go as soon as you leave the salon, you can shower, tie, and tuck your hair to your heart’s desire.

At Hair Benders the treatment costs $250, which includes the necessary shampoos and conditioners to use for the 3 months after which are sulfate-free. It may seem a pretty hefty price to pay but it is half the price charged at most salons in other cities. Also, if you consider how much time you take straightening, styling and worrying about the frizz in your hair, it may be completely worth it.  Plus, we all know we can use that extra time we take straightening our hair to sleep in and forget there may be 18 inches of snow piling up outside.