Health Blog: Boost Your Bosoms With Four Exercises

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

If you’re like most girls, then you probably shy away from chest-building machines at the gym, but women can benefit greatly from chest exercises. We use our pectoral muscles when performing daily tasks; so, strong chests can enhance our ability to complete chores. Incorporating chest exercises into your workout can not only prevent sagging and strengthen your chest muscles, but will also blast belly fat as well.

WebMD stresses, “getting the chest in shape lifts the chest. It may appear that you have a bigger chest… but it’s a healthier look. It’s better posture.” Here are some exercises that will benefit your work out.

#1) Single-arm dumbbell bench press [do one arm at a time]

First, grab a dumbbell with any hand and lie on your back on a flat bench, holding the dumbbell over your chest. Place your free hand on your stomach for balance. Second, lower the dumbbell until it’s parallel with your chest. Hold slightly, and then raise the dumbbell back to its original position. Afterwards, do the same with your other arm.

Recommended use: perform biweekly, with three sets of 10 repetitions.

#2) Incline Push-Up

First, place both of your arms at opposite ends of a flat bench with your feet hip-width apart. Lower your chest until it’s a few inches away from the bench. Then, push against the bench in order to return to your original position. If you want a more challenging workout, then try doing push-ups on the floor, stabilizing the back and tightening your abdominal muscles.

#3) Dumbbell Bench Press

Lie on your back on a firm bench, holding a dumbbell in each hand. Lower the dumbbells until they’re by your shoulders, and keep your elbows extended. Hold the dumbbell above your chest momentarily before bringing it back to its original position and repeat.

#4) Incline Dumbbell Chest Fly 

Lay flat on your inclined bench with a dumbbell in each hand at a 45-degree angle. Carry the dumbbells slightly above your shoulders and raise them above your chest, with the dumbbells touching and palms facing each other. Bend your elbows a little and keep dumbbells at opposite directions in an arcing motion.

Use these exercises the next time you go to the gym and you’ll see a difference within a few weeks!