Health Blog: 5 Foods You Didn’t Know Were Unhealthy For You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

So many foods seem to be healthy just based on their names. However, that is not the case. Do not let yourself be fooled by these healthy names!

Granola: Say hello to sugar! A small serving of granola is equivalent to 15 grams of sugar, or 4 teaspoons. Not only is that bad for your teeth, but it does not fill you as much. Next time you reach for a granola-based cereal, make sure you check the sugar. Reach for something more high in fiber and low in sugar, like Bear Naked granola. It will keep you much fuller, for longer.

Salad Dressings: When people eat at salad, they think they are being healthy. The word salad just sounds healthier. However, that is not always the case. Salads can be loaded with things that make it just as bad as eating a piece of pizza. One of the things that can turn our salads on an unhealthy path is our dressing. The creamy dressings are normally the culprits and should be avoided at all costs. They add unnecessary calories and fat to your salad that an oil-based salad dressing might avoid. I recommend, balsamic vinaigrette!

Soups: Many people think that soup is a way to avoid unhealthy food options. However, that may not be the case. Cream-based soups often pack extra fat and do not fill you for longer. In that sense you are wasting calories on a feel-good food. Instead, opt for a broth soup. People have found that if you eat a small bowl of broth-based soup before your meal, you will get fuller faster.

Reduced-Fat Peanut Butter: Don’t let the reduced-fat label fool you people! Reduced-fat peanut butter still packs nearly the same amount of calories as regular peanut butter. The kicker? Reduced-fat peanut butter has more sugar. Regular is actually the better choice here, but if you can find a place where you can make your own peanut butter, like Whole Foods, for all the suburb kids, than that is the place to go.

Bran Muffins: The issue isn’t necessarily in the muffin; it is in the muffin size. The size of a muffin has increased exponentially through the years. The sodium that is packed into these treats can be equivalent to one day’s serving. You can either make your own to eliminate these problems or only eat half of the store-bought at a time.

Next time you are at the store make sure you avoid these unhealthy options, by reading their nutrition labels rather than their claims on the front of the packaging.