This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With the start of fall, there are always new events going around on campus. Everyone is starting to make new friends and clubs are recruiting new members. Numerous activities occur all at one time, and this can be hard for someone (like me) who wants to try it all.

However, it gets tiring after a while. Always going out and meeting new people, transporting yourself from one side of the campus to another. My social battery can’t go on that long. I often feel the need to go out and try out all these things because I’m afraid I’ll miss out on a great opportunity. Yes, I might miss a fun night out, but staying in and having time for myself can’t go wrong. In the end, it’s yourself that you have to depend on. This is my guide on how to say no with FOMO.

Step 1: Saying no

This is definitely harder for people who are people pleasers and have FOMO. However, it’s never a bad thing to say no when you’re simply taking care of yourself. If anything, just let your friends know as soon as possible that you won’t be able to make it.

Step 2: Admit you will miss out

Ah, the hardest part in my opinion. As stated earlier, (unless you have an identical twin who can act like you 24/7 and know every detail of your life) you can’t be at every social event that you want to attend. Heck, it might not even be your social battery that’s low, but it might be a conflicting time between two events. Either way, missing out on experiences is a part of life. You didn’t get that job, or you didn’t end up getting invited to that party. While those opportunities were missed, other opportunities opened up.

Step 3. Rejection is redirection

Let’s say you say no to going out one night with friends because you’re tired. This might lead to you giving yourself alone time, such as watching a comfort movie or getting to that craft you’ve been wanting to try but haven’t gotten around to yet. Whatever you end up doing instead of socializing in the fear of missing out, this opportunity wouldn’t have been possible for you unless you put your foot down and said no, which you did. Alone time can be fulfilling with novelty.

4. The realization

After the times I decided to stay in rather than go out and socialize, I realize that it was super rewarding. I got to enjoy an activity, on my own, without feeling tired afterward. How rewarding! After these reoccurrences of saying no, sometimes I’ve gone to events that turned out not to be that fun, and I wish I would’ve stayed home instead. A missed opportunity! It’s going to happen one way or another! I might as well not be tired while doing it, though.

5. The conclusion

Next time when you’re debating on going out for the fourth time on the weekend, as yourself these three things.

• Do I really want to go, or am I just having FOMO?
  • How am I feeling, do I truly have the time and energy?
  • Missing this opportunity will open up another one

Decisions, decisions. In the end, happy and healthy you will find your way through FOMO or no FOMO.

Lena Brockway

Illinois '23

Just writing things that are on my mind :)