Golden Globes Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Film. Fashion. Fame. These are the three Fabulous words that can be associated with this year’s 70th annual Golden Globe Awards, hosted by SNL alums Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. This comedic dynamic duo put smiles on the faces of the star-studded audience with their witty banter in the introduction of the show. Some of the memorable quotes from Tina put a spin on movies released this past year, according to the Huffington Post:  

The Hunger Games was one of the biggest films of the year, and also what I call the six weeks it took me to get into this dress.”

She follows this with:
“Ang Lee has been nominated for the Life of Pi, which is what I’m gonna call the six weeks after I take this dress off!”

Aside from the opening, Fey and Poehler made some “guest appearances” throughout the show as they impersonated false celeb nominees.

Film: The primary reason why the Golden Globes exist. In addition to movies, television shows, actors and writers are also honored at the awards ceremony. Argo took the title of best motion picture of drama, and Les Miserables was awarded best motion picture for a comedy or musical. From Les Mis, Anne Hathaway took the title of best supporting actress in a motion picture. Currently starting in on its second season, the HBO series Girls was awarded best television series of comedy or musical. Creator and actress Lena Dunham was also named best actress in a television series of comedy or musical. Her show focuses on four women in their twenties finding their way in New York as friends.   

Fashion: Those who are fans of E! News are aware of the fact that elegant designer fashion is another significant component of the awards show. Upon entering, each actress is asked questions such as who their gown is designed by, their thoughts on it, and what inspired them to wear such a gown. Meanwhile, the fashion gurus of the world are frantically making notes and gathering their criticizing or praising comments for their talk shows or blogs to be produced the next day. Viewers at home place their opinions (some complimentary, some tactless) on their appropriate social media accounts. Everyone is a critique.

According to USA Today, some of the best dressed of the night include Anne Hathaway wearing a two piece white strapless Channel gown. Marion Cotillard donned a fiery orange, velvet dress by Christian Dior. Isla Fisher was sparkling in her simply cut yet elegant gown.

Perez Hilton not so subtly states his opinion on who was the worst dressed, namely Jessica Chastain in a billowy, light blue gown, and Sienna Miller wearing a dress decked out in pastel flowers. Lucy Liu was wearing a rather puffy dress featuring an even larger flower print.   

And finally,

Fame: The end result of all of those who get to leave the awards with a small golden globe of glory in their hand- a tiny but significant reminder of his or her success in the industry. Whether the speeches are sappy, touching or humorous, it is always interesting to see who wins what, and who will always be able to see their globe sitting on the mantle for the rest of their lives.