Going The Distance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Between exchanges, bar crawls, clubs, and other social activities on campus, some lucky ladies have found a man they feel worthy enough to hold the title of their boyfriend. It is easy to maintain a new relationship when you live within a ten minute walk from each other; grabbing dinner, having a movie night, or a night at the bars is the norm. When summer arrives, for many couples, distance becomes the new norm. Yes, distance is rough but it is nothing that a loving couple can’t overcome. There are three main factors that can save a relationship and keep the bond strong during the long, hot summer months.

Communication is key. It is important that you and your significant other take at least a few minutes every couple days to talk on the phone and catch up. There is only so much you can get out of a text; if you really want to feel connected with the man in your life, it will take picking up the phone or skyping. With a busy summer schedule full of work, internships, and school this may be difficult but you both need to work out a time to have a phone date here and there; it will make all the difference.

Plan when you will be able to see each other. Even if you will only be able to see each other once a month it will still give you something to look forward to. Not only will you be able to see your boy toy but you will be able to meet his family and his friends from home and see the environment he grew up in. This will give you a better understanding of his roots and why his core values are what they are. This will also give him a chance to meet your family and friends. You will be able to share a part of your life with him that you can’t necessarily share at school.

Stay positive and don’t sweat the small stuff. Try to avoid small arguments that you might be more willing to have at school. Since you are not able to physically kiss and make up, a fight might hurt a little more, last a little longer, and have more devastating effects on the relationship. Before an argument turns into a fight really think if it is worth it; ask yourself if it will make a difference in the long run of your relationship.

Even though it may be hard, try and stay positive. Realize distance is only temporary and making the best of the situation will make it go by faster. There are many couples that have to go through distance, you are not alone. If you truly want to make a distance relationship work, you can, it just takes a little more work.

It is only three months of a long year; if you can get through a summer of distance your relationship will be able to overcome any struggle that can come in Champaign.