Style > Fashion

From Leg Warmers to Skims Bodysuit: Women’s Fashion Throughout the Decades

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Bell bottom pants in the 70s, geometric patterned jackets of the 80s, to skims bodysuits and oversized blazers of 2023: women’s fashion has immensely changed over the course of the decades. So here are some of the most iconic fashion moments throughout the years that made history!

1920’s

The era of the flapper girls and living out the American dream. Many of you might recall the famous tale of The Great Gatsby which does a wonderful job depicting just what womens fashion looked like during such a time. Flappers would wear boas and oftentimes have a feathered headband. This was probably one of the first times in history where it was acceptable for women to wear such short dresses in society seeing as though it was entertainment attire. The fashion norm at this time was for women to wear draped clothing with a looser feel. Oftentimes, these dresses were paired with a matching hat of some sort and always bedazzled in precious stoned jewelry. The 1920’s were definitely the party era, and a time for women of all backgrounds to show off their status.

1950’s

This era was revolutionary in the sense that women started to campaign for their rights to wear pants. No longer where wearing or owning a pair of pants a manly attribute. This was a time of confidence, bravery, and immense change as women began to embrace the simplicity and comfort that could come from swapping out a dress for a good ole pair of trousers. Pantsuits became popularized and so did overalls. No longer were women fashionably in bondage but where now boss babes!

1980’s

Riley Keough in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell/Prime Video

Ah, the 80’s… where it was socially acceptable to wear a spandex onesie paired with polyester legwarmers in public. Seriously though, who thought this was a fit? Haha, all jokes aside though, this era was iconic for numerous reasons. It was the decade of flamboyant colors and power moves. Women were wearing anything from denim on denim to spandex, to off the shoulder t-shirts and even oversized and padded blazers.

1990’s

Clueless
Paramount Pictures

This was personally my favorite decade…’twas a whole vibe! Everything from the tweed skirts that became popularized by movies like Clueless to Y2K to mini dresses with cardigans, and even the introduction of high waisted denim pants. Every single fashion statement from the 90’s was iconic. Blown out hair, darkly lined lips, scrunchies, and heeled boots.. It was all a part of what made the 90’s so phenomenal!

2020’s

princess polly leather jacket
Photo via Princess Polly

The “it girl” era where everything follows a certain aesthetic: clean girl, old money, model off duty. I believe 2023, as well as some of the previous years, have been some of the most heavily fashion influenced years. Literally anything goes, just add a pair of hoops and put the word aesthetic at the end of it and there ya go. These years have been full of self-expression and uniqueness.

What is your favorite fashion decade or even your favorite fashion piece you own? That’s all from me this week. Happy Women’s History Month and stay uniquely you!

Mierra Freeman

Illinois '26

Hiya! My name is Mierra Freeman, and I am currently a sophomore studying sociology, while on the Pre-Law track. Although I want to pursue Criminal law as my career path, I have always had a passion and special place in my heart for all things beauty, self care, skincare, positivity, and fashion! I hope that together we are able to embark on this wonderful journey in the world of beauty and positivity. Never forget to stay uniquely you!!💗