Freshman Blog: Home Sweet Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s hard to believe that it has been just over three months since I started college, and that my first semester is already drawing to close. It seems like just yesterday when my parents and I loaded up practically everything I own into the car, made the two and a half hour trip down to Champaign-Urbana, and moved into what would be my home for the next year. Well, fellow freshman collegiettes, after these past three months of studying, partying, and meeting new friends, it’s finally time for a BREAK. Actually, it’s about time for TWO—Fall and Winter Break! If you are like me, you are probably very excited to go home, be with your family, reunite with some high school friends, and most importantly, to eat something other than dorm food! However, adjusting to life back at home is going to be a little different. So, here are some do’s and don’ts to help you get back into the swing of things.

Photo

1.      DO Spend Time With Your Family
As much as you want to just sleep and watch TV, make an effort to spend some quality time with your family. Chances are, the family dynamic has changed since you left home. Your parents and siblings definitely want to hang out with you, hear about all your college adventures (the appropriate ones), and tell you about everything they’ve been up to since you left.

2.     DON’T Expect the Car to be at Your Disposal
Trust me, I learned this lesson firsthand. If your parents are anything like mine, they probably think you have magically lost your ability to drive after three months of being away, or they have gotten so used to not having you around that they are simply unwilling to let you take it out for a spin. Take mom or dad for a joyride to show them that you remember all the basic driving rules, and remember to politely ask when you need to drive somewhere.

3.     DO Reunite with Old Friends
If you have many friends that are at school in other states or maybe even in different countries, you have probably only been able to talk on the phone or via Skype. Take advantage of everyone being home for holidays, and try to organize a time when you all can meet up for coffee or dinner. Everyone will be excited to be together again and you can all catch up on the crazy things that have happened during your first semester of college.

4.     DON’T Be Out Too Late
Even though your parents will be overjoyed to see you and spend time with you, they are still your nagging, overprotective parents (as much as we love them). Now that you are back at home, they will actually know what you are doing and how late you are out. Try to follow the rules of the house to avoid any fights over the holidays.

Follow these few simple do’s and don’ts and I guarantee you will have a fun, relaxing Fall and Winter Break with family and friends. Enjoy!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!