Formal Fashion Made Simple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The semester is winding down quickly, which means sorority and fraternity events are coming to a close. But lucky for us, one big event is still left in the social calendar: formal! This event is the biggest one of the year and obviously requires the most glamorous attire compared to other social events. But the thought of choosing one dress out of the millions of styles, designs and prints out there can definitely be daunting. Here’s a breakdown of how to make sure you choose the right dress for you!

Finding the best place to shop is the first step to making sure you get the perfect dress. Oftentimes, once you find one good boutique or website, it’s easy to stick with that for all of your dresses, but finding that one store can be a challenge. Some collegiate favorite websites include Tobi, Topshop and Nasty Gal. Pinterest can also be a good place to find some lesser known websites, too! But, if you don’t want to have to worry about your dress not fitting or not coming in the mail in time, Apricot Lane and Fira are on campus boutiques with lots of cute dresses! 

Once you know the kinds of stores you want to look at, picking the style of dress you want and also looks flattering on you comes next. Popular dress styles that you’ll find a lot of include bodycon, skater and shift, but these dresses aren’t always flattering on every body type so it’s important to know what works for you. Bodycon is going to be the most difficult to pull off because it clings to every curve you have, but a skater style dress is flattering on almost everyone.

Next comes the fun part: actually picking the dress! Keeping things basic with a solid color dress is always great if you’re going for a classic look, but there are lots of fun details out there that can spice things up as well. Sequins are the perfect flashy addition to a dress for those collegiates who want a glamorous look. But cutouts, a little bit of sheer or a plunging neckline will add a bold, sexy feel to any dress for those of you that want to be a bit daring. No matter what your style is or what look you’re going for, there are tons of options for you to choose from!

You’re not done yet, though! The perfect dress requires the perfect accessories. Go for simple, understated jewelry if your dress is on the flashier side, but if you choose a solid color dress, try a statement piece to take your outfit up a notch. Also, since formal is inevitably going to be a long night, it might be a good idea to wear a comfortable pair of heels, or at least a pair that you can tolerate. It’s also important to make sure you have the proper bra to wear, especially if you’ve decided to go with a dress with cutouts, a low neckline or sheer fabric. After all, you don’t want your pictures to be ruined by a stray bra strap.

Now you’ve got everything you need to look absolutely stunning at your formal! So it’s time to see all your preparation pay off and have a fun filled night where all your friends will be asking you, “Where’d you get that dress?”

Photo Sources:

http://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/p0ys85-i.jpg