Food Blog: Healthier Thanksgiving Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The holidays are filled with friends, family, and food. However, many times we are bombarded with unhealthy meal choices that are high in fat, calories, and sugar. Whether you are preparing a meal for others, or looking for ideas to cut back during the holiday, here are some classic Thanksgiving recipes with a healthy twist.

Sweet Potato Casserole:
Sweet potato casserole is one of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes. But, with added sugar, this dish can quickly pack on the calories. This revamped casserole will keep the dish light, but still tasting great.

Photo

Casserole:
2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 eggs
1 tablespoon of honey
1-tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
½ cup skim milk
1-teaspoon cinnamon
1-teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping:
½ cup whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons of butter, melted
½ cup chopped pecans

Casserole Directions:

1. Boil a large pot with water and add the sweet potatoes. Cook until they are tender over medium heat (about 10-15 minutes).
  2. Mash the sweet potatoes with a masher.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish for the potatoes.
  4. Combine the eggs, honey, and olive oil. Add the egg mixture to the sweet potatoes. Add the milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish.

*Note: make the topping before baking the sweet potatoes.

Topping Directions:

1. Mix the flour with the, sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Gently stir in the pecans.
  2. Pour over the casserole.
  3. Bake the casserole for about 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the top is lightly browned. (Note- consistently of the casserole is based off of your preference. I like mine crispier, so I leave it in longer.)

Healthier Classic Stuffing:
Who doesn’t love stuffing on Thanksgiving? But, with white bread and loads of butter, this savory dish can become very unhealthy. With a better bread choice and lighter chicken broth, this recipe stays classic and nutritious at the same time.

Photo

Ingredients:
16 ounces of whole wheat bread crumbs – 2 cups cubed
2 tablespoons of light whipped butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced mushroom
1 granny smith apple, cored and diced
1 cup of nuts (I like to use almonds, walnuts, or pecans)
2- 2 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons of poultry seasoning – can buy this at the store easily

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Bake the bread for 10 minutes on a buttered baking sheet, or until softened.
  3. Remove the bread and combine with the walnuts.
  4. Sauté the butter in a large pan. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms and sauté over medium heat until softened. Add the apple and sauté about five more minutes. Add the poultry seasoning and remove from heat.
  5. Add the chicken broth to the vegetable mixture. Combine the vegetable mixture with the bread mixture. Mix well.
  6. Pour into a casserole dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

Classic Green Bean Casserole:
This is definitely one of my favorite side dishes for Thanksgiving, but the fried onions and mushroom soup add a lot of unnecessary fat to this dish. With a low-sodium mushroom soup and a few other substitutes, this dish will be a hit at your holiday get together.

Photo

Ingredients:
1 lb of fresh green beans
1 can of low sodium mushroom soup
1 large yellow onion
¼ cup olive oil
¾ cup skim milk
3 tbs whole-wheat flour
1 cup of whole-wheat breadcrumbs

Directions:

1. Boil water in a pan and cook the green beans until they are tender. Drain and set aside.
  2. In a large pan, sauté the onions in the oil until the onions are browned.
  3. Combine the green beans with the mushroom soup, skim milk, and flour.
  4. Spread the green beans into a casserole.
  5. Top with the onions and whole wheat breadcrumbs. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 
Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!