This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

October is finally here and fall is in full swing. From pumpkin patches to midterms to Halloween parties and Thanksgiving, fall is jam-packed with enough events to keep you moving. During this ever-busy autumn season, here are five essentials you need to stay styling and thriving.

The perfect, cozy sweater

Run, don’t walk to your local mall and pick up a new sweater to keep you warm on those chilly fall nights. Bonus points if it’s brown, maroon or navy to really help you pull together the autumn color palette. My personal favorite is a fluffy, neutral hooded sweater that can be paired with leggings or jeans.

friends road trip california fall break windows down music
Molly Peach / Her Campus

Boots

Whether they are your classic, never go out of style UGG minis or suede ankle boots, you need a staple shoe boot to pair with any casual outfit. I recommend choosing either black, gray or tan as the neutral colors can with virtually anything. Pick out a pair that you can dress up or down and you are all set to be rocking the fall runway.

clinique lip
Ulta Beauty

Your Favorite Lip Product

As the weather starts to cool off, it’s common for people’s lips to get chapped from the frigid temperatures and cool breezes. Keep your lips moisturized with your favorite lip balm or gloss. Aside from the classic staple ChapStick 3-packs, I love Maybelline’s lip gloss in the shade Ice and Clinique’s Almost Lipstick in the shade Black Honey.

Tumbler

Whether you are using it for hot apple cider, coffee, or water, having a go-to reusable cup to put all of your classic mall drinks in is a must. Not only will you feel good from staying hydrated, but you are also helping out the environment by ditching the plastic bottles, it’s a win-win situation! I suggest trying to find a color that will match your color palette not only for fall but for all the seasons too. This way you can keep using it throughout the duration of the year and be even more sustainable.

Feel-Good, Party Playlists

To get through the midterm season it is essential to have a playlist that you can play while walking to class, working out at the gym or during those long study sessions. Crank up Spotify and blast all of your favorite tunes to keep motivating yourself to work hard. Make sure to add songs that will keep you smiling and shining from morning to night!

I hope these five fall essentials inspired you to go out and find your own necessities to keep you going throughout the next few months! Start this season out right and pick out everything you might need to help excite you as the weather starts to cool off and the leaves begin to change. Make a list of your own and pick out all of your favorites!

Lauren Reidy

Illinois '25

Hi! My name is Lauren and I am a Junior majoring in Communication with minors in both Business and Public Relations at The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I am from Chicago, IL and joined Her Campus my first semester of college to find a group of passionate and empowering women to surround myself with. I love reading books, writing, listening to Taylor Swift, drinking coffee, and taking group fitness classes. I'm so excited that you are on this journey with me, thanks for following along!