Five Dates for Five Stages of a Relationship in C-U

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Stage 1: Espresso Royale

If you’ve recently met someone at the bar or in class, this is the perfect place to sit and get to know each other. Located on campus in Urbana, this cute coffee shop is known for its atmosphere and authenticity. Decorated with plants and table art, it’s easy to get to know someone over a warm tea or coffee. Most of the tables are small, giving it a more intimate setting, and the booths and upstairs tables make for the perfect pre-first date.

Stage 2: Jarlings

Coffee went well? Go for custard. With being the perfect place to take you back to a high school first date, the custard cup was the voted the 2015 best ice cream shop in Illinois. With picnic benches in the foreground and many people around, there is a loud atmosphere on any warm fall, summer or spring night. The cold fudge is a must for any first-timers, however their snowstorms never disappoint, and of course, it’s never too cliché to share a shake on the first date.

Stage 3: Papa Dels

Although grabbing pizza might not be too common on a second date, this casual pizza factory is a perfect spot to really get to know someone. With its new location opening recently on Neil, the restaurant is constantly crowded, giving it a great atmosphere with a lot of activity. Since this pizza restaurant makes its deep dish in-house, it allows for extra talking time before the food comes (allow 30-60 minutes extra for deep dish pizzas).    

Stage 4: Arboretum

Once you’ve gotten to know someone and are able to enjoy their company without food as a safety net, the Arboretum is the perfect place to go for a walk, feed the ducks or just sit on a park bench and enjoy someone else’s company. Through the summer, fall and again in late spring, the arboretum has flowers, a pond, paths, a Japanese garden, and open fields to enjoy with your date. It’s fairly romantic, and can even be an endeavor during the winter on a clean, snowy day. The best part? It’s free.

Stage 5: The Bread Company

Coming back to Urbana, this Swiss inspired romantic date stop will melt your heart by candlelight. The must-haves are the soup of the day, roasted salmon, and, of course, the chocolate fondue—but, honestly, anything on the menu. The quantity of this spot is perfect for any couple; with a darker and quieter atmosphere, it’s the perfect time for a more traditional date. Although the menu might be pricier for the average college student, the food-atmosphere combo is second to none in date locations in Champaign-Urbana for any special occasion.

Photos Courtesy of Alexis Casati