FEMALE ISSUES: The Right Guy – What Should The Relationship Feel Like?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

I’ve noticed a trend over the past few months in Collegiates: everyone has a boyfriend. Now this is perfectly normal, as it is natural to want to be with someone. However, not all relationships will achieve longevity. Every guy just isn’t Mr. Perfect.

There are a combination of benefits and hassles that stem from being in a relationship in college. Many people may believe that boyfriends distract you from reaching your goals, staying focused and being responsible, while others believe that they do the exact opposite. When you first start dating a guy, there a number of signs of his true character and how he feels about you. Often, girls ignore these signs, and that’s where we go wrong. I’m here to show you these signs so you’ll never make a mistake again. 

When You Know You’re In Something Healthy And Productive:

Only you know when you’ve met the right guy. When you feel that you can be yourself around him without his judgment. When you can see yourself with him in the future (and no, not some fantasy, but a realistic future). I’m talking past the traditional “bring him home to mom” thing, because like we all know that sometimes doesn’t mean anything. Are you comfortable enough with this guy that you wouldn’t mind him coming home to you? If you answered “yes” to all of these, then maybe you’re on the road to paradise. 

It Takes Two To Tango:

Sometimes we get caught up in what our relationship looks like, who will approve of it, how many likes your pictures get on Instagram, how soon until you change your relationship status on Facebook and other nonsensical things. Does this guy actually care about you? If he does, is the caring reciprocal? Is your relationship meaningful to you when no one is looking? The simple things are the ones we forget the most. Is he mindful of the things he says to you, and do you take the same precautions with him? If you’ve answered “no” to any of these questions, then take a step back and reevaluate why you’re in your relationship and if it’s harmful.

Let’s Get Something Straight:

I wouldn’t be right if I assumed that in these relationships, the guys are the only people walking the tight rope. This article is meant to inform you of some healthy signs that you’ve chosen a good guy. A happy and productive relationship works when you don’t ignore the signs of negativity in the beginning. I’m not writing to tell you how to have the perfect relationship, but I’m writing to tell you what the foundation of a great relationship is.

Find what you want, and get what you need. And if you don’t, let it go. It wasn’t meant to be. Don’t put yourself in a relationship that’s hard to get out of and uncomfortable to remain in. Only you can make this decision. Choose wisely, and don’t ignore the signs.