Fashion Blog: Versace for H&M

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Designer collections at stores such as Target, H&M and Kohl’s seem to be the key to every fashionista’s heart these days, giving every girl the opportunity to score designer pieces at affordable prices.

The latest designer collaboration, Versace for H&M, hits stores on Nov. 19; just in time for pre-Black Friday holiday shopping. H&M previously collaborated with Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney, Comme des Garcons, Jimmy Choo and Lanvin.

Donatella Versace teamed up to produce collections for both men and women, as well as accessories and, for the first time in a designer collaboration at H&M, home décor. The collection stays true to the Versace nature, and the pieces come from the fashion house’s illustrious past; from the bold prints, vibrant colors, and floaty silhouettes to make every girl feel as luxurious as the coveted Italian label. While the ad campaigns show the models as if they went to a Dayglow party, the bright designs instantly boost my mood. The collection ranges from $19.95-$299.99.

Here are eight of my favorite pieces from the collection:

1.  Biker Jacket and Minidress (Both $299)
From the sneak peek of the photos released in October, the leather looks buttery soft, and I love the studs on the dress. It makes the tough-girl image look much more chic. Both are amazing pieces for the price, and a great staple to add to your wardrobe.

2. Buckled leather high-tops ($69.95)
For the man in your life, swap out his usual Chucks with these fashionable shoes. The gold buckle detail makes the shoes more expensive than they actually look.

3. Metallic Dress ($249)
This glittery silver party dress is one of the coolest pieces of the collection. Though it may be a bit out of my price range, it’s a great piece to wear for holiday parties.

4. Pink Studded Dress ($199)
The dress has the iconic Greek motifs seen on Versace’s runways. Pair with the biker jacket and motorcycle boots, or let the dress’s pattern and color stand out and pair it with simple black heels.

5. Island Print Skirt ($69.95)
While the print may not be ideal to wear now as we head into winter, it’s a great summer staple, and the palm trees on the skirt just make me want to take a vacation to a tropical island. Pair this skirt with a white tee and a blazer.

6. Pillow ($29.95)
Add color to your dorm room or apartment with this vibrant pillow. It adds life to your bedding, and beats out the basic ones you would find at Target.

7. Flower Ring ($19.95)
This sparkly ring can stand out all on its own. Pair with a black blazer, white T-shirt and jeans to liven up a basic outfit.

8. Leather heels ($129)
The cutout shape of these patent black sandals is so cute paired with a basic LBD or jeans and T look, and are perfect for a night out (also comes in pink).

But while the Missoni for Target collection crashed Target’s website within minutes of being launched, it’s likely that Versace’s collection for H&M will do the same.

The collection will only be available in 300 stores (but will also be available online), so be sure to check out their collection before it’s sold out! 

All photos: www.hm.com/us

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!