Fashion Blog: Topshop Comes To America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Topshop has been available for shipping to the US for the past few years, but now it has taken the plunge and tested American waters, and the response has been great. It may not have the same wallet friendly prices as H&M but Topshop delivers edgy, quirky, glamorous British fashion to the U.S. market and has now opened three stores – in New York, Las Vegas, and, more recently, Chicago.

Topshop has evolved as a major fashion store on the British high street and is as credible as any designer brand, boasting collections designed by Kate Moss, MOTO and CJG shoes.

Personally, Topshop has always been among one of my favorite stores in the UK and when I came to the US for a study abroad year, I was very happy to find out that, 3 hours away from my college, Chicago had a Topshop on Michigan Avenue awaiting my presence. It was a comfort to see British fashion so far away from home – and I love that the company is making it big here.

Why do I love Topshop so much? The style and range of their clothes is great. There are very high-end items which require quite a bit of money in your wallet, but Topshop delivers in that it ranges from low price items to high price items, so on any budget you can find something in there. I recently read that clothing sales in the US are at their lowest for years, which makes it refreshing that Topshop stands as a shopper’s chameleon: “I think we’ve got something to bring to the market place. We’re going to be very fashion-led here. We’ve got a $500 dress hanging 30ft from a two-for-$18 tee-shirt. It’s different,” says Topshop boss Sir Philip Green.

The company’s website can be found at www.topshop.com, and they also have a men’s version of Topshop too: www.topman.com

For those who love British fashion, now is your chance to have a taste of it. I am sure that in the next few years more stores will open in the US too.

Anna is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham. She studies American Studies and completed a year abroad at the University of Illinois, USA in 2011/12 where she found her passion for Her Campus by working for Her Campus Illinois as a news editorial intern. After graduating, Anna wishes to pursue her dream of moving to London (or even the US eventually!) and working in something creative and fast-paced, whether it be editing, fashion journalism, PR or publishing. Hobbies (/obsessions) include fashion, shopping, traveling, music and, most importantly, food.