Fashion Blog: Pretty in Pink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, pink is in the new black. It’s a fun, girly color that is surprisingly easy to wear. From patterned tights and skinny jeans to color-blocked dresses, pink gets a cool new update that any Collegiette can add to her wardrobe without looking like a four-year-old princess.

In the November issue of Glamour, one article highlighted various shades of the ultimate “do” color, from rose to magenta and even bubblegum pink, and how to wear them.

After stumbling upon the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure website, I couldn’t help but notice how fashionable pink is. I’m sure all of you have been touched by breast cancer in some way, and there is no better way to show your support than wearing cute pink merchandise. A few of my favorite picks:

Long Sleeve “Care Promise Cure” Slouch Tee

• Price: $35.00
  • If you love the comfort of a sweatshirt but hate the bulkiness, this is the top for you. An off-the-shoulder look makes it more modern and chic, and the looseness of the top goes exceptionally well with skinny jeans or jeggings and black knee-high boots. You’ll practically live in this top, and it’ll carry you from the fall to the winter.

Promise Sweatshirt

• Price: $40.00
  • This sweatshirt has the same comfort and appeal as the long sleeve shirt, and it is one item you need to add to your wardrobe this season. It has an edgy yet laid-back appeal, and is a great layering piece to wear over a white tank top or t-shirt.

Full Zip Panda Fleece Jacket

• Price: $55.00
  • This jacket has the same look as the popular North Face fleeces often seen on college campuses, but is about $100 cheaper. This will be perfect for those chilly fall mornings to class when you need a lightweight jacket. It’s a great jacket for runners, too.

Flannel Polka Dot Pant

• $30.00
  • Every Collegiette needs a cute pair of pajamas, especially during unplanned fire alarms. These fit the bill, and I can’t resist the adorable polka-dot print.

Silk and Cashmere Scarf

• Price: Originally $100.00, on sale for $49.95
  • This luxe-looking accessory is a chic way to add a dose of pink to your wardrobe. If you’re not much of a pink girl, this reversible scarf is great to add to a simple jeans-and-T outfit. It’s also reversible and can serve as a shawl over eveningwear when you don’t want to wear a jacket. Plus, the cashmere will keep you soft and warm all winter long.

Ribbon Parfum Clutch by Felix Rey

• Price: Originally $70.00, on sale for $39.95
  • This adorable clutch by the famed handbag designer features a ruffle trim and embroidered perfume mister adorned with the pink ribbon and signature Felix Rey bow. Most of the bags by this designer are between $150-$400, so this is a great way to add a designer dose to your wardrobe. It’s perfect to keep all of your cosmetics in for the day, but also works well for a night out.

I-Words Bracelet Kit

• Price: $12.00
  • Create your own fashion statement with this fun kit. Each kit has enough letters to make one of the words listed on the package, such as Inspire, Imagine and Ignite. The kit comes in cream, pink, black and orchid.

Running Ribbon Enamel Pin

• Price: $3.00
  • This pin is a simple way to show your support for breast cancer and wear it proudly. It’s the cheapest item on the list, but it has the most meaningful impact.

Twenty-five percent of the proceeds will be donated to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure in the fight against breast cancer.

Who knew looking so fashionable could be so rewarding? Get shopping!

All photos – shopkomen.com

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!