Fashion Blog: All Dressed Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

When the weather gets warm enough, there is nothing I enjoy wearing more than a good dress. All of my friends make fun of me because I will wear a dress to literally every occasion that I possibly can. To avoid a fashion rut year after year, I am always interested in trying out any new dress trends that I can find in order to switch up my summer look. Below I’ve listed three dress trends that I am beyond excited to try out this summer.

High-Low Hemline

One of my favorite new trends for spring 2012 is the high-low hemline. This trend was shown quite a bit in various Resort 2012 collections, including Cynthia Rowley and Vera Wang. This trend is perfect for both day and night. So many of these dresses are shown with fun prints, which make them perfect to pair with cute sandals for everyday, but can be dressed up as well. The three dresses I’ve chosen below perfectly show just how versatile this trend can be. I really like the Free People color blocked dress. The sheer, lightweight fabric and interesting color combination make it perfect for everyday. The Urban Outfitters dress shows how this hemline can be perfect for going out, as well. The cutouts make it much dressier and the high hemline on this version is a bit higher than the Free People dress, which make it more suitable for evening. However, out of these three dresses, my favorite is the Topshop yellow. I absolutely love the dandelion yellow color of this dress and the gathered waist. I would wear this paired with a blazer to work, belted with beaded sandals for every day and dressed up with wedges and colorful jewelry for a night out.

Maxi

One trend that I have worn for the past few years is the maxi dress. I love the casual elegance of a floor length dress for everyday. This trend has been particularly popular for the past year and showed up yet again in various runway collections, including Thakoon and BCBG Max Azria, for Resort 2012. Just like the high-low hemline trend, the maxi dress can also work for day and evening. A good example of this dress for every day is the Splendid striped dress available at Nordstrom that I’ve shown below. The stripes and sporty racerback counteract the length of the dress and make it perfect for every day. I was instantly drawn to the second dress I’ve shown, which is by Eliza J and also available at Nordstrom. I like the halter and tie neckline of the dress; it’s different than a lot of necklines I’ve seen with maxi dresses. The reason I was instantly attracted to this dress is due to the cool geometric pattern mixed with stripes. It’s an easy way to mix prints and looks fresh and modern. However, my favorite of the three dresses is the French Connection dress. I absolutely adore everything about this dress: the halter neckline, the keyhole opening in the back and the color. I love navy as an alternative for black for evening and the subtle stripe in the fabric is so pretty. I also really like the skirt of this dress. The sheer, pleated overlay with the under layer just visible underneath is a new trend in maxi dresses. It’s a nice way to change up the style and make it perfect for this spring and summer.

Peplum

Peplum is one trend that has taken off since last fall. As something that was initially regarded as a little strange (why would any woman want more fabric around her hips?) this trend is surprisingly slimming and very popular. I love the sophistication associated with these peplum dresses. Peplums were also shown all over the Resort 2012 runways, including the Marchesa dress I’ve shown below. Unlike maxi dresses and high-low hemlines, peplum dresses are probably best reserved for evening. The sophistication associated with these dresses makes them perfect for any occasion you want to feel extra glamorous. The first dress shown below is from Topshop. I really like this for spring; the coral color is fresh for springtime but the dress itself is so elegant. The second dress is from Zara. It’s a little different than most dresses we’ve seen this season. The peplum here isn’t a full ruffle in the front, which makes it all the more interesting. The final dress from Asos I’ve shown below is my favorite. I absolutely love wearing fuschia in the summer and the color makes the overall vibe of the dress a little less serious. I also really like the sheer panels on the side of the dress. It gives the dress more of a younger vibe which is perfect for a night out.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!