This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

I am the type of person that would give any new show a try. I tend to find new things to watch when I am bored or once I finish a series. I am not necessarily a movie person, but I love a good TV show! Let’s get into some recent shows that I’ve loved binging.

Kim’s Convenience

Kim’s convenience is a sitcom that was released in 2016 with five seasons. It is based on a Korean-Canadian family who owns a convenience store in Toronto, where they deal with their family issues, customers, and their character developments. Within the family, you can explore and understand how different family dynamics work. Although they also tackle series conversation, they add light to those perspectives and navigate how to deal with varying familial situations.

Derry Girls

Derry Girls is another sitcom that is based on the life of Erin, her friends, and her family in 1990 when Northern Ireland had British Army check points. It really emphasizes the lives of the teens and how they persevere at an all-girls school, how they navigate issues that are commonly seen in low-income families, and how high school life looks when you are typically outcasted by your peers. I believe it is more of a realistic perspective on high school life and wanting to fit in with other social groups.

AHC101b 0087r?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
The CW

All American

All American is a sports drama based on a true story, revolving around protagonist Spencer Paysinger’s life. It showcases the struggle of families wanting to make something out of themselves in small towns and their struggles with day-to-day discrimination. It also showcases the difficulty and precision of having to balance sports and education. Overall, All American showcases the difficulty within relationships, substance abuse, and athletic challenges.

One Day at a Time

One Day at a Time is a Latin sitcom/comedy. It is based on the lives of Cuban Americans that are navigating the ups and downs of their life. Penelope is raising both of her children with her mother in apartment, navigating the pressures of motherhood and challenges in between. This series adapts contemporary takes on life within personal struggles, identity issues, and relationship issues. They seamlessly integrate important topics, without making them “feel pushed”.

Love on the Spectrum

Love on the Spectrum is based on younger adults on the autism spectrum who are experiencing the dating pool. Through this, they are exploring unpredictable situations of love and relationships. Some are starting out for the first time, while others are going back and giving love another chance. The show explores a variety of experiences and showcases both the struggles and positive outcomes. They also showcase same sex couples and really, anyone who is willing to put themselves out there!

I am a recreation, sports and tourism major and will be concentrating in sports management as well as I will be working on research towards latino communities.