Style > Beauty

Ditch Winter Blues & Update Your Spring Beauty Routine!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With the snow finally melting and leaving puddles all over campus, it somehow feels like spring has already found its way into Chambana. That being said, it’s time to ditch your winter and amp up your beauty routine with fresh new ideas and styles.

Love On Your Lips
Many of us rock lip balm on a daily basis, but taking a risk with lip color is something anyone should try. Bright pink, bold coral, and punchy reds are all fun shades. From glosses to stains to lipsticks, there’s one for every taste.

HerCampus Illinois likes Revlon Colorburst Lip Gloss in “Hot Pink,” a shiny, creamy gloss that’s only $7 at Walgreen’s. For those of you who have some extra cash to spend, head over to Sephora at the mall and get your hands on Nars Lipstick, $24, “Outsider” for a similar look. Pair it with brown eyeliner and tons of mascara for an easy, pretty look.

Senior Kelly Snodgrass is on board with this beauty tip.

“I like dark purples and the occasional bright red,” Snodgrass says. “I use Revlon lipstick, otherwise it’s Urban Decay.”

If you don’t like the idea of transmitting your lip color onto your plastic cup at the bar, lip stains are the perfect solution. CoverGirl Outlast Lipstain in “Wild,” a bright strawberry hue, is only $8 at Target. To avoid having dry lips, lather lips with balm before applying the lipstain.

Brighten Your Nails

Spice up your nail polish selections with some spring pastels. Some of
the newest shades have been revamped from the typical Easter egg hues to make them spring must-haves.

While Chanel “Riva,” a subdued, but still bright, ocean blue, is a popular choice, most of us cannot really afford the $25 price tag for a bottle of nail polish. Make your way to Sally’s Beauty Supply and pick up Orly “Ancient Jade”, a stand-out pastel that will turns heads while sitting in lecture or while barstooling at Kam’s.

Another fun nail trend to try are nail strips. Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nail Strips, $10 at drugstores, come in all different kinds of prints and patterns, such as zebra, leopard, or even a faux lace overlay look. You simply apply the strip to your nail, then break off the end with a simple bend at the tip. File away any excess trimmings, and voila – everyone will think you’re a nail art whiz.

Scrub Your Skin

Get the celeb glow with the following tips:

1.     Exfoliate your skin. We like St. Ive’s Apricot Scrub, which is available at any drugstore for under $3. Apply it to dry skin to really scrub away dead skin cells, then add water to continue the exfoliating. Wash it off and towel dry your face.
2.     Apply a lightweight facial self-tanning lotion, like Jergens Natural Glow Face, $8, to start building some color you lost this winter.
3.     Try to use a tinted moisturizer for coverage as opposed to foundation. Most formulas can be very heavy and drying for your skin, but tinted moisturizers, like Neutrogena Cosmetics Healthy Skin Enhancer, $11, won’t clog your pores as much.
4.     Sweep bronzer on your forehead, top of your nose, and cheekbones. To make it look natural, it should be applied where the sun hits your face. Ones with subtle shimmer will really make your face glow. Our favorite is CoverGirl TruBlend Bronzer, $6. It comes with a big cosmetic puff, or you can use the loose powder on with your favorite make-up brush.

Brittany Lindeman, a senior in LAS, tells us that this trend is her favorite.

“I love when celebs like J. Lo have pretty, bronzed skin,” Lindeman explains, “I love being tan, so this is something I could easily try.”

Have Fun With Your Hair
As celebs like Giuliana Rancic and Lauren Conrad demonstrate, ombre hair is all the rage. Ashley Piepenbrink, a hairstylist in Chicago, notes that the procedure is called “balayage.” Basically, it’s when the hair on the bottom is lighter than that of the top, giving it a fading effect, or a natural out-growth look of highlights. So save some of your cash for your highlight touch-up, ladies, and let them grow.

Piepenbrink also notes that wavy textures are always in for the spring season.

“Braids are always in,” Piepenbrink says.

Her go-to method for getting the most natural looking waves? Use a one-inch curling rod, like Conair Infiniti Conical Curling Wand, $26, so you can avoid those awful clamp marks by just wrapping hair around the barrel and holding it in place. Try different sized pieces of hair to truly get an uneven, beachy wave. Keep them lasting all the way until afties with some hairspray; Piepenbrink swears by Paul Mitchell Extra Body Finishing Spray, $18 at salons.

But the textured hair isn’t limited to the girls. Piepenbrink notices that many of her male clients have been growing out their hair to achieve their own wannabe surfer look. So don’t discourage your bf from letting his locks get a little unruly – he’s just trying to keep up with the trend!

Whatever look you decide to try this spring, Piepenbrink recommends a few other Paul Mitchell products (they’re her ultimate fave), the Super Skinny Serum, $20, and the Heat Seal, $15.

“The serum is great for anyone, fine or thick, curly hair because it just makes it more manageable,” Piepenbrink explains. “Every girl these days uses some sort of thermal styling, so the Heal Seal protects the hair.”

While it may be cliché, spring is a definite time for renovation and renewal, so why not pick up a new lipstick or try a bold nail lacquer? You could discover a whole new signature look.