Dad’s Weekend Restaurant Guide Part I

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.
In the cornfields of Champaign, the restaurants serve more than just corn. Champaign is home to over 50 restaurants offering a plethora of options to University of Illinois students. 

From Chinese food to Cajun, any type of cuisine can be found here. Choosing which restaurant to late-night eat at is a tough decision, however, Dad’s Weekend can often be more tough. This Dad’s Weekend take your father to the crème de la crème of restaurants during his visit. 

Radio Maria is a restaurant to check out. Started by two University of Illinois students who majored in sculpting and painting, their degrees sets the restaurant up for aesthetic greatness. The atmosphere transports you into another world and the food takes your taste buds to another level.  Tapas-styled dining, there is something on the menu for everyone. Humus, grilled hangar steak and garlic chile salmon is enough to make anyone’s mouth water. 

If your father has simpler taste buds, take him to Destihl. Located in downtown Champaign, this is more of a traditional American restaurant. Destihl is known for its fusion of craft beer and artisan foods. From Bavarian style pretzels to Dijon chicken, any dad is bound to be highly satisfied with this choice. Each item on the menu is reasonably priced and if you’re 21 or older, this restaurant is a great place to kick back with a drink and relax. 

In the depths of Urbana lies the Black Dog and this dog can bite. The spicy flavors from this barbeque pit will entice any smokehouse lover. 

“Black Dog is amazing. I would love to take my dad there because it has the best barbeque food that I’ve ever had,” Alexa Winestock, junior at the University of Illinois stated.  

Black Dog is known for their burnt ends, which you can choose to douse in barbeque sauces ranging from mild to hot. 

“The meat is juicy and delicious and incredibly savory,” Winestock continued. 

Restaurants located in downtown Champaign and Urbana tend be higher quality than the chain restaurants that live on Green Street. However, don’t let that stop you from taking your dad to a few of U of I’s trademarks.  

“I went to U of I but we never had anything like Fat Sandwich,” Craig Kavensky, U of I alumni started. “I was actually watching TV once and Fat Sandwich came up on the show and I was like wow, I have to check that out.”

Take your dad to get a classic “Fat Sandwich” topped with French fries, mozzarella sticks, cheese, chicken fingers and more. Insomnia, Champaign’s delectable cookie shop, is conveniently located right next door. 

If your dad isn’t feeling fast food, take him to Papa Del’s, Champaign-Urbana’s Authentic deep dish pizza. This pizza hub has been here for over forty years and is in such demand, they 
ship all over the country. 

With a plethora of restaurant options available, your dad is sure to not be disappointed. Remember to make reservations because these restaurants are in high demand. Check out part II for even more restaurant recommendations for this weekend!

Photo sources:

Mia Rose

Illinois

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.