CU Style Blog: The Long and Short of It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Hip huggin’ daisy dukes have been an evolving staple in the street-style scene over the years, and the goal of short-shorts for women is to show a little skin and elongate the best part of the body: legs. Recently, a more classy and put together version of the classic “Short-Shorts” has been gracing the fashion scene, especially on the UIUC campus: High-waisted shorts. I found two fabulous fashionistas this week sporting hems above the hips, each with their own flair to make the trend their own. Jesse suggests a more casual, dressed down version, while Ashley portrays her shorts with an elegant twist.

CASUAL

Jesse Goddard: Jesse utilizes layering in a way that many fashionistas have a hard time accomplishing right off the bat. The button-up shirt combined with the simple high-waisted denim shorts provides for an outfit that breaks down her body, and the illusion that her torso is short and her legs are longer, which is something desirable for a woman of her height. The rugged leather boots dress down the outfit, allowing it to be worn on an “everyday” type of basis (especially for keeping comfy in classes all day).She adds a light sweater to top off the final product, leaving her with an effortlessly casual spin on the high-waisted shorts trend.

Major: Broadcast Journalism

Finds the Best Deals at: Thrift Shops and American Apparel

Couldn’t live without: Sunglasses

DRESSY

Ashley Huisinga: Ashley was caught on her way out of her dorm to meet a friend for dinner. Unlike Jesse, Ashley shows off black shorts with black, silk trim, instantly turning her outfit from everyday to special-occasion, without looking too dressed up. The detail in her tank-top also adds to the delicacy of her total outfit, creating a black and white silhouette of fabulous proportions. The simplicity of her color scheme is jazzed up with a blue “Dooney and Bourke” bag, for a show-stopping pop of color. 

Basically Lives at: Nordstrom Rack

The Most Genius Trend Ever: High-Waisted Shorts

The World could do Without: Thick patent leather belts (especially in obnoxious colors)

So the next time you’re feeling frisky, ditch the Duke’s of Hazzard swag, and opt for a more tasteful way to sport your shorts. But hurry, the Champaign sunshine won’t be sticking around for much longer!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!