Community Blog: Theatre In Champaign-Urbana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It is officially mid-October, which means midterms, falling leaves, apple cider and cooler weather. College girls seem to love the fall cold fronts, especially when it comes to fashion choices like chunky sweaters, cozy scarves and leather riding boots. However, the onset of the cold may not be as fun and exciting when you want to hit up the bars on a Friday or Saturday night. When you are looking for an alternative to going to Kams, Cly’s or Joe’s on the weekend, check out the vibrant theatre scene both on campus and in the Champaign-Urbana community. Between student organizations, the University of Illinois Theatre Department and local theatre companies, there is bound to be a show to fit every taste. Here is a look at some of the shows being produced within the next month!

Dracula

If you are obsessed with everything Twilight-related and/or still describe yourself as “Team Edward,” this show is definitely for you. The University of Illinois Department of Theatre is putting on an adaptation of the classic novel about the infamous blood-sucking vampire, and it is sure to be a creepy and thrilling event. This is the perfect way to get yourself in the mood for one of the best holidays of the year — Halloween — and you can support your fellow students while doing so. Dracula is playing at the Krannert Center’s Colwell Playhouse October 11-13 and 18-20 at 7:30 P.M., and October 21st at 3:00 P.M.

The Drowsy Chaperone

Illini Student Musicals is a new RSO on campus devoted to producing quality student-run musicals every semester. This semester, ISM is producing The Drowsy Chaperone, a hilarious, feel-good musical about a Broadway musical coming to life in one lonely man’s apartment. The show was nominated for several Tony Awards in 2006, and has great music that even non-musical lovers will enjoy. Make sure to support this new RSO by checking out their show! The Drowsy Chaperone plays in the Lincoln Hall Theatre November 8-10.

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

This hilarious musical about eccentric middle schoolers competing in a spelling bee is both funny and heartwarming. The Champaign-Urbana Theatre Company is putting on this crowd-pleasing show this weekend only, so get your tickets pronto! The show incorporates audience participation also, so your theatre experience will be unique, but most importantly fun! Spelling Bee plays October 11-13 at 7:30 P.M. and October 14at 2:30 P.M.

Be sure to experience the wonderful, diverse theatre scene that Champaign-Urbana has to offer, and enjoy all of these wonderful productions!