Community Blog: Start Celebrating The Holidays In Champaign-Urbana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

We’ve all been counting down the weeks until this much-needed, weeklong Thanksgiving break, and it is finally here! Along with the short vacation from school and stress comes food, fun, family, old friends and preparations for the upcoming holidays. The week home will no doubt be much shorter than it seems, and you may not get the chance to experience your favorite holiday traditions before you have to make the trek back down to Chambana to start preparing for finals. Luckily, both Champaign and Urbana have many fun, festive events planned for the next few weeks, so you will be able to get in the holiday spirit! Here are some exciting things happening in town within the next few weeks!

Parade of Lights

If you will be back on campus on Saturday, November 24th, be sure to head to downtown Champaign for the Parade of Lights! Downtown Champaign is illuminated in electric lights, and it is certainly a very festive way to start off the holiday season!

Holiday Market in Lincoln Square

The Holiday Market is the perfect opportunity to get a heads up on your gift shopping while supporting local businesses within the community. You will certainly be able to find beautiful, unique gifts for someone special in your life. The market features local vendors and small businesses from the Champaign-Urbana area, gift-wrapping services and holiday music! The Holiday Market in Lincoln Square runs every Saturday from 8 A.M. to 1 P.M. until December 15th.

The Nutcracker

A viewing of The Nutcracker is an impeccable way to start off the holiday season because everyone is guaranteed to enjoy the beautiful music and dancing. The Champaign-Urbana Ballet Company and Sinfonia da Camera are putting on this stunning ballet at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. Grab some of your sorority sisters or drag your boyfriend along to this beautiful, festive holiday show.

There are many more events scheduled for the end of November and the entire month of December to help you get in the holiday spirit. Check out all that is planned on the City of Champaign and the City of Urbana websites! Enjoy!