Community Blog: The Great Thing About Coffee Shops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The great thing about coffee shops is that they’re so versatile. I’ve used a coffee shop to buy myself pick-me-up cups of lattes, I’ve been on a couple of dates in CU coffee shops (and broke up in one) and my friend and I annually participate in the craziness is that Starbucks’ “Buy One Get One Free” deal.

However, one of the added advantages of coffee shops is that they’re awesome study environments. Let’s face it—the UGL is too crowded, our dining room table is too close to our bed and the last time I tried to study at Panera or Noodles, I ended up stress-eating half of the menu away.

Coffee shops invoke some sort of seriousness in a relaxed environment. They have the magic of helping people finish papers or study for tests, without getting too stressed out. As we are in the midst of finals time, you may find yourself yearning to go to a coffee shop and prepare for academic battle. Luckily, CU has a variety of shops on- and off- campus.

Starbucks

If you’re lucky enough to live near Green and Sixth (or are just passing by), you have the opportunity to get a cup of Starbucks coffee. Starbucks has the bonus of being a universally known coffee shop, so everyone knows the menu and how good the drinks are. And, as we all know, Starbucks really steps-up their drink menu for the holidays (can you say caramel brulee latte?)The bad thing about Starbucks, however, is that many people love the store, so it’s very hard to grab a seat for primal studying time.

Espresso Royale

If you go to Chicago, it’s rare not to find a Starbucks for more than seven blocks. Here, we work a little differently—our “coffee chain” happens to be Espresso Royale. Actually, I think that one of the best things about Espresso Royale is that there are eight different locations to choose from. I’m always at the Union, so I usually go there for a vanilla rooibos tea latte (which, I swear, tastes exactly like liquid vanilla ice cream in a cup), but if I’m ever stopping by BIF, I know that I can support my tea fix when necessary.

Café Kopi

If I were to pick a favorite coffee shop, I’d have to stay it would be Café Kopi. Located in the heart of Downtown Champaign, it is a little bit farther from campus. However, I choose to look at the location as a blessing: if I’m far away from my apartment, I’ll probably study for longer periods of time. Plus, there  café miel—a single shot latte with honey and vanilla—is literally heaven in a cup, they have coloring books for study breaks (I’m partial to the “Fairy Tales Coloring Adventure” myself), and the store’s awesome, ever-changing artwork leaves you inspired and makes you feel welcome.

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!