Community Blog: Concerts about to hit the C-U!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The winter blues are almost over, but as much as you may want to hibernate until spring (with the exception of Thursday nights), fight the urge to lay around and take advantage of the amazing performances going on all around you!

Canopy Club

It wasn’t until my junior year that I attended my first Canopy Club concert, but it is a great way to get out of the usual social grind and engage in some of the musical performances that are offered! The Canopy Club offers a great concert atmosphere with accommodating seating areas, space to roam around, drinks as well as performances for a variety of musical tastes. This month, there are two performances in particular that you can’t miss out on!

On February 16th, artist Corey Smith will be performing live. Corey Smith is a country/rock/blues singer and guitarist; his most famous songs include “Twenty-one” and “Mabye Next Year” from his most recent album “The Broken Record”.

A college-student favorite is Umphrey’s Mgee, a Chicago-based band many Illini’s know well! They will be performing at the Canopy Club on February 19th. Umphrey’s Megee offers a variety of styles ranging from rock to blues. In recent years, this band’s popularity has skyrocketed, so buy your tickets soon! Whether you’re looking to immerse yourself in the unfamiliar, or just want to see one of your classic favorites, Canopy Club has it all. Concerts range from hardcore House music to laid-back vocalist performances. There are many more upcoming concerts so be sure to check them out online for more event dates!

The Assembly Hall

Because this arena is well-known for showing  basketball games during the winter, it is easy to forget that Assembly Hall hosts  some great entertainment throughout the year. February and March are filled with huge events and concerts that you won’t want to miss! Kelly Clarkson will be performing live at Assembly Hall on February 25th, tickets are priced from $70. Another famous artist, Chris Daughtry is performing on March 6th and tickets are on sale for just $35! Aside from these pop and rock concerts, Assembly Hall is hosting Cirque du Soleil as well as “Fiddler on the Roof!” Something for every interest will show at the Assembly Hall over the next two months so be sure to check out their schedule to ensure that you don’t miss out on a great concert or musical experience.

School of Music

Although the Canopy Club and Assembly Hall offer great rock and pop concerts, if you are a classical music junky, or just want to enjoy an unfamiliar genre, you might want to check out some of the concerts hosted by the University’s School of Music. Both graduate and undergraduate students in the music program put on piano, vocal and other shows that are extremely worthwhile! There is something going on almost every week. I’ve personally checked out a piano recital and was amazed at the talent and professionalism of my peers. Change-up your social routine and take advantage of all the events going on in the Champaign area; you’d be surprised at everything it has to offer!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!