Community Blog: Cold Weather Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

February is here, meaning we are one month closer to spring and the return of nice weather. However, right now, the cold and the wind makes it less enticing to go out on the weekends because either you have to forgo wearing a coat, or you will most likely lose it or get it dirty, wherever you decide to spend your evening. Thankfully, for all of us U of I students, there are a ton of different things to do on nights when you don’t feel like braving the cold. Here are a few ideas:

Start Training for Christie Clinic’s Half-Marathon

Yes, we are already in the 2nd month of 2012, but that doesn’t mean you can’t start your New Year’s Resolution now! Get working on those resolutions to get fit and lose some extra pounds this year by training for Christie Clinic’s Illinois Marathon. The Christie Clinic Half-Marathon takes place on April 28th, and it is a great opportunity to get in shape. Since a half-marathon is 13.1 miles, makes sure you start training NOW. Get together a group of your sorority sisters or other friends, and just start running. The good news is you can run inside at the ARC or CRCE if the weather is stormy or cold, so you can stay nice and warm and don’t run the risk of getting sick from the cold. Another great thing about this Half Marathon is that the route runs through campus, Urbana, and ends on the 50-yard line of Memorial Stadium! You can register for the race at  http://illinoismarathon.com/index.php .

Skate at the Ice Arena

If you enjoy winter activities, but not actually being outside, spend an afternoon or an evening at U of I’s Ice Arena. The Ice Arena is located at 406 East Armory Avenue, just a short walk from the Quad. They have open skate hours, ice skate rentals, and even a Learn-to-Skate program for beginners who have always wanted to try ice skating. Get together some friends for a lot of fun and many laughs on the ice rink! Check out http://www.campusrec.illinois.edu/skating/ for more information!

Spend a Quiet Evening at Café Kopi

Everyone needs some alone time now and then. Pick an evening when you don’t feel like going out, grab a book and some magazines, and head over to Café Kopi in downtown Champaign for a quiet evening to yourself. This espresso bar has been voted the best café in the Champaign-Urbana area many times, and I have heard that their Chai Tea Lattes are to die for. This intimate, artsy coffee shop is the perfect place to relax and de-stress after a rough week of classes. If you are feeling up to it, you can even check out some of the cute vintage stores nearby, such as Dandelion, one of my personal favorites! Café Kopi is located at 109 North Walnut Street.

Hopefully, these three ideas will help you figure out what to do the next time boredom strikes on a cold night! Have fun and keep warm, ladies!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!