This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.
CAJUN CHICKEN PASTA MANNY HIGHRES Q3F19
Courtesy of Chili’s x DoorDash

Chicken n’ Dumpling Soup

This soup is so wholesome! This is a staple in households during this time. This soup is the perfect blend of protein from the chicken and bread from the biscuits within the broth. While dumplings might seem difficult to make, this recipe can be made quite easily. For the dumplings, you can cut Pillsbury butter biscuits from the store into pieces (the size of the dumplings will be up to you to decide). You can buy a rotisserie chicken and shred a few pieces from that! Below, you will find the Pillsbury biscuits and a few soup recipes!

Beef Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots

While some of you might dislike crock-pot meals, this is such a classic one. The beef roast is best when you prepare the beef, potatoes and carrots before you leave for work or school. This allows the beef and all of the other goodies to marinate and cook all day. Personally, I am a big fan of putting whole baby carrots, chopped yellow potatoes, whole onions and a bunch of garlic in the crock pot with the beef. If you are not sold on chopping the potatoes and placing them in the crock pot, then creamy mashed potatoes are great with this meal too! Here are recipes for the beef roast and creamy mashed potatoes!

Sausage and Gnocchi Soup

Yes, another soup! You cannot have too many soups during the colder months. For this soup, there is a spicy blend of sausage and veggies. The addition of the gnocchis thickens up the soup quite a bit and makes it more filling. In this soup, you have the creative liberty to add whatever vegetables your heart desires. Personally, I enjoy adding squash, spinach, tomatoes, onions and mushrooms to mine. Moreover, if you would like to cook a vegetarian option, then chickpeas are a great addition to this soup as well! Below, you will find a gnocchi soup with sausage and a vegetarian option as well!

Pasta + More Pasta…

In this section, I am not going to only discuss one type of pasta because there are too many great staples. Rather, I will discuss spaghetti (a classic), lasagna and a vodka shrimp pasta sauce. For starters, spaghetti is such a wholesome, easy and relatively affordable meal. For the sauce, my family and I like to make our sauce completely homemade. However, there are several options on the market that give you more of a homemade and fresh taste. Lasagna is a staple in many households. When I think of lasagna, I imagine a Sunday dinner with lasagna, salad, garlic bread and dessert. A large amount of comfort can be found through taking the time to make a nice meal and sitting down with the people you love. The vodka shrimp pasta is a little specific, but it is so delicious! This pasta dish is packed full of spices, flavor and protein from the shrimp. Below there are recipes for all of the types of pasta discussed here!

Autumn Bunzell

Illinois '27

Hi there! My name is Autumn Rose, and I'm from Utica, Illinois. I live minutes away from Starved Rock State Park. I attended LaSalle-Peru Township High School which consists of only about 1,200 students. Within my family, I'm the youngest in a close-knit household, and I have an older sister who I absolutely adore. As well, I have a golden retriever and a grey tabby cat. Currently, I'm a first-year neuroscience student at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. Both the physical and psychological aspects of the human brain fascinate me. In addition, I'm interested in nutrition and how this field can be applied to neuroscience. There is a field labeled nutritional neuroscience that studies how the consumption of food, minerals, and supplements impacts an individual's cognition, mood, and overall brain health. Outside of the classroom, my hobbies vary tremendously. Music wise, I listen to Bryce Vine and Bazzi, but I also love Etta Mae, Arethra Franklin, and Frank Sinatra. As I do my morning routine, I listen to health and wellness podcasts on Spotify. In between classes, I do yoga and Pilates. At night, I love to do some skincare, and then crawl into bed with one of my books. Typically, I partake in crocheting and baking in the colder months. As a side note, my favorite season is fall because of the cool weather and all of the pumpkin/apple candles, foods, coffees, etc.