College Couture Week: April 10-17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

There are very few events on this campus, unfortunately, that cater to those who are fashion obsessed, like I am. I love the pretty clothing, the runway shows, the photography, and the design behind it all. After being on this campus for almost three years and taking a good look, I realized that I am definitely not alone. There are actually so many of us fashion-deprived students on campus that something had to be done. So somehow, through numerous connections, five of us randomly got together and have been working on putting on UIUC’s first ever fashion week! College Couture was an RSO that was founded by Jennifer Ruppert, Kenneth Crowder, Caroline Smagacz, Thomas Mui, and myself earlier this year. The events, that begin on April 10th and last up until the 17th, consist of the following:

College Couture’s Next Top Model: Sunday April 10thA competition geared towards finding a closing model for our runway show. Candidates will be able to print off short applications the week beforehand and turn them in with an attached photo. Five finalists will be chosen and given a round of runway and model challenges on Sunday with voting going on throughout the week. The winner will be announced at the final fashion show.

Fashion Talk: Tuesday April 12th and Wednesday 13th Seminars from professionals in the fashion industry will talk about their experiences and how to break into the stressful but exhilarating fashion environment. We have Susan Becker, a fashion design teacher who worked in fashion in New York before she moved to Illinois. There is also Chicago-based designer Nora del Busto, and Chicago fashion blogger Chitownfashionistan Nikia, to cover other aspects of the industry.

The Fashion Experience: Boutiques for the College Fashionista: Wednesday April 13th, Coordiated with the Business of Fashion, The Fashion Experience is a full night of entertainment and fashion all based in the Union ballroom. Booths will be set up all over that showcase student clothing and accessory designs as well as fashion from local Champaign boutiques. Then, after an hour or so of mingling and enjoying the DJ’s music selection, a mini fashion show will be put on to showcase the clothing in an even better light. The atmosphere will be fun, energetic and trendy.

Couture Night Out: Thursday April 14th, A night I’m personally really looking forward to is Couture Night Out. Set at Cly’s on Thursday night and opening with a red carpet and back drop for posing for photographers, our night out encourages people to dress their most fashionable. The night will be filled with great entertainment from our DJs, colorful and exclusive Couture drinks, and a crazy high fashion atmosphere. It is definitely a night that shouldn’t be missed.

The Final Fashion Show: Sunday April 17thOur finale and week closing is our Fashion show.  Slated to go on for two hours, this show promises to showcase both student and Chicago designers. With great music, clothing and entertainment promised, the show is a must-see. The event is $5 at the door and all profits will go to our sponsors Designers Against Aids featured by H&M.

These events are the hard work of not only the founders, but also the many fashion groups on campus that have collaborated with us to make this as large an event as possible.  A big thanks is necessary to Tom & John’s Chocolate Factory, an independent Chicago-based urban clothing line. Another goes to Gordana Rasic, co-coordinator of our fashion show and designer of her own fashion line Goca.

Lastly, we’d like to emphasize that we are sponsored by a great cause using fashion to fight and bring awareness to AIDS through Designers Against Aids featured by H&M. We hope to see everyone out next week, it’s going to be amazing and something that our campus has never seen. For more information visit our website at www.collegecoutureweekuiuc.com
or our facebook page under College Couture Week.